What are associate friendship?

peacefulveglady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello
I might be asking a stupid question here but, I am wondering what is associate friendship. What is involved with that? I thought it was for a job or coworker but, can it be people that you know?

Do you mean, if somebody calls somebody an "associate" rather than a friend? (Or is this something else?) If so, an associate is somebody you know, maybe talk to a lot, but wouldn't consider close enough to be a friend. They could be co-workers (so people you'd speak to every day at work, but wouldn't tell your secrets to or spend time with outside of work) or just friends of friends, etc.

Somebody might say, "hey you're friends with Jane aren't you?" and you might say "not really, she's more of an associate" to explain that you know who she is and have spoke to her, but you're not close. Some people have higher standards to what constitutes as a "friend" than others, so it's an individual thing. Personally, unless I meet up with them in my free time, specifically with them (i.e. not as a group thing) I probably wouldn't call them a friend - with perhaps one exception.

Is this for some type of membership, and you're wondering if your relationship to this person would be considered an associate friendship?

Maybe they said that to seem more "professional"....?? I think this a reflection of the person...not on your friendship

I might say "This is my associate, so-and-so" to sound fancy or for fun...like we were partners in crime or something ;-)

I feel a bit like Mr Angry today..just had a rant about BT and SKY and now another which I did not know where to put so have placed here!

A case of blatant lying has left me aghast. Can no one just be honest anymore???

My 'associate' friend (trying to link it in here you notice!!!) and I have been partaking in a Macmillan Sponsored Slim for the past two months. Well , rather I have. We arranged it together, did the posters , got sponsors together, got weighed twice. Then apparently I carried on alone.

She avoided being weighed, got noticeably fatterand when challenged told me she had lost vasts amounts of weight which was clearly not true. BE HONEST.

She blamed a variety of incidents and events which I do not have an issue with. If she was honest and said it had all gone to pot I would not have an issue either. BUT BE HONEST.

I for my part have not met my target of two stone but am well on my way having lost over a stone and a half. This being the case I have held my hands up that I have not made the deadline and told my sponsors I do not expect them to pay up and taken no money.

When I arrive at work today I find that against their better judgement staff are grudgingly forking out sponsor money to her as she has written on the sheet that she has lost TWO STONE. WTF!!! Everyone is muttering that they would not mind paying up but...she clearly has not lost one pound!

No one believes it but is too polite to challenge her. I am off to do exactly that and tell her just what I think of her lying to extract money..even if it is for Macmillan.

I am fuming at the dishonesty of this, not only staff but well meaning patients who are trying to help Macmillan by sponsoring are being lied to.

Am I over reacting ? Is it me? Or is this just bloody appalling dishonesty? How can anything about this be right????

That must be so annoying to you when you've worked so hard! And congratulations on losing so much!

I have to admit, though, that I laughed picturing her thinking she's getting away with this. It's not like anyone wants to say, "Ummm honey, you've not lost a pound." Unless you have any Americans there--but we would have insisted on before and after weighing-ins in the first place. :-D

Reactions: mary1 and KLS52