Using slightly sour soy milk to make yogurt?

walterbyrd

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I had some soy milk that still has not reached expiration date. But it was very slightly sour, it curdled a bit in my coffee. I decided to try and make yogurt with it. Used my standard recipe - which I will post in a separate thread.
Yogurt seems to be okay. Maybe a little more tart than usual.
Here is what I'm afraid of: I seem to have heard, somewhere, that the bacteria that makes yogurt is "good bacteria" whereas the bacteria that makes milk sour is "bad bacteria." Maybe the yogurt making process helped grow the bad bacteria?
On the other hand, I have also heard that sour milk - soy or dairy - has many uses. For example: baking, sour cream, etc. So how deadly could it be?
Any thoughts?

I had some soy milk that still has not reached expiration date. But it was very slightly sour, it curdled a bit in my coffee. I decided to try and make yogurt with it. Used my standard recipe - which I will post in a separate thread.
Yogurt seems to be okay. Maybe a little more tart than usual.
Here is what I'm afraid of: I seem to have heard, somewhere, that the bacteria that makes yogurt is "good bacteria" whereas the bacteria that makes milk sour is "bad bacteria." Maybe the yogurt making process helped grow the bad bacteria?
On the other hand, I have also heard that sour milk - soy or dairy - has many uses. For example: baking, sour cream, etc. So how deadly could it be?
Any thoughts?

Sour milk and milk that has gone off is not quite the same thing. Once opened it has a shelf life of 7-10 days. If you can't buy small cartons, you could freeze it by either making cubes or in small containers.

You could get food poisoning if you consume large amounts of soya milk that has gone off:

How To Tell If Soy Milk Is Bad

It’s pretty easy to tell if soy milk (gluten-free or not) has gone bad

The first thing you should do is to smell the soy product. If it has an off odour, it’s probably spoiled, and you should discard it. Fresh soy milk should have a mild smell (you probably know how fresh soy milk smells like), so if you notice a difference in smell, the milk is probably off.