Music US album sales hits low

Well, considering the music industry has long been populated by a lot of greedy, unethical, despicable bastards, they deserve this. And who needs the middleman? Today’s artists can upload their music directly to the internet and sell it that way. Keeps it artistically pure.

The days of consumers buying albums or CD's is coming to an end. People download music - it's immediate, and for the artists - there is no real overhead. There is a trade off for sound quality and having a product to hold in your hands but those are not things that this generation cares about.

Now, getting enough buzz to get your music downloaded / heard in the first place is another story. Anyone who can plink out a few notes can make their stuff accessible instantly. It's a double edged sword. For artists it's great - new equipment, technology, cost, turn around times - all those are vastly improved and make it so easy and affordable that anyone can do it.

The drawback: anyone can do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: beancounter
"When your album sales wasn't doing too good, who's the doctor they told you to go see?" --Dr. Dre

Here is an interesting and informative op-ed piece about streaming music and its impact on the music industry.
When iTunes launched 10 years ago, it became the model for buying and legally downloading music. Soon services like Spotify came along and changed the game from a purchasing model to a licensing model. How has this changed the industry? For consumers it’s great, but for the music industry it’s meant tons of competition at the bottom, a vanishing middle, and more corporate domination at the top.

As Talib Kweli tweeted a few days ago, "[people] should stream or hit YouTube until they can afford to buy."

Last edited:
My cousin and his brother have run a recording studio for over 30 years. They're musicians and sound engineers, and though they still use the big sound boards for a lot of things, new technology has then doing lots just on macs.

Their studio was hit hard by the free downloading of music that people began doing, and the ease of people recording their own cds, but they have been able to keep a somewhat thriving business, unlike lots of studios around the country. And world, I guess.

Reactions: Dedalus
My cousin and his brother have run a recording studio for over 30 years. They're musicians and sound engineers, and though they still use the big sound boards for a lot of things, new technology has then doing lots just on macs.

Their studio was hit hard by the free downloading of music that people began doing, and the ease of people recording their own cds, but they have been able to keep a somewhat thriving business, unlike lots of studios around the country. And world, I guess.

A former band-mate of mine runs his own studio and I think he does all right. It's a very nice setup and quite honestly if I had the cash and it was convenient, (he lives out of state) I'd record a fair amount of my stuff there. It's liberating to just go in and play the music rather than have to mess around with the mic settings etc. Plus - it's always nice to have another set of ears you can trust listening and giving you their input.

A former band-mate of mine runs his own studio and I think he does all right. It's a very nice setup and quite honestly if I had the cash and it was convenient, (he lives out of state) I'd record a fair amount of my stuff there. It's liberating to just go in and play the music rather than have to mess around with the mic settings etc. Plus - it's always nice to have another set of ears you can trust listening and giving you their input.
Odd that I just brought the studio up, they just accepted an offer on the studio, and will be recording in a different, smaller I assume, location. End of an era. :( MIXING TRACKS IN THE SHADOW OF USF — Morrisound Recording

One of my favorites:
1-1.jpg