Unusual venues for weddings, birthday parties, and other life events

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I thought it would be fun to have a thread to chat about unusual venues for weddings, birthday parties and other life events. We often read about couples who get married while skydiving or snorkeling. I just read about one couple who got married at their local Whole Foods. The video attached to the article was actually about a different couple who got married at a Planet Fitness gym. I once read in the newspaper that the cartoonist Charles Addams, who specialized in macabre themes in his cartoons, got married in a cemetery. His bride was quoted as saying, “Charles thought it would be so romantic.” I don’t remember if it was on Halloween, but some couples do like getting married in a cemetery on Halloween.

And with birthday parties, unusual venues can also be...interesting. Some time ago, I read about a little boy who loves Target so much, he had his birthday party there.

Reactions: Ahimsa
We just attended a wedding in a brewery which I thought was pretty novel! The brewery/bar also serves food and has a large dining area which was blocked off for the wedding. The ceremony actually took place back in the brewing area. I will get some pictures uploaded to post. It is kind of hard to describe!

We just attended a wedding in a brewery which I thought was pretty novel! The brewery/bar also serves food and has a large dining area which was blocked off for the wedding. The ceremony actually took place back in the brewing area. I will get some pictures uploaded to post. It is kind of hard to describe!

YES THIS SOUNDS WONDERFUL!

I looked at some odd ones when I got married. We definitely didn't want a church wedding, and I didn't like the idea of just some hotel or something either. We were going to get married in the place where we met (a gig venue), but in the UK venues have to go through a lengthy process to be licensed as a wedding venue, so that was out. We had the reception there instead.

We then looked at a battleship from the 1800s, and totally would've gone for it, but they were already booked up for our date (a full two years in advance! jeeeez). But LOOK HOW COOL: The Wedding Plans | HMS Warrior

There was also a fort in the middle of the ocean. Again, completely awesome (you have to boat or helicopter everyone in), but they wanted a small fortune in fees and we did not have much money.

Reactions: Amy SF
I don't is that this is particularly unusual, but St. Louis has a beautiful botanical garden, and it's a lovely venue for weddings.

I had the memorial service for my mother in a meadow on the farm, and her 1974 VW Beetle attended. I think she would have approved.

Reactions: Chryssie
I don't know if this counts as "odd" exactly, but I like the idea of renting a cottage for the weekend and holding a BBQ wedding in the backyard. I think it's a decent alternative for couples who don't have a backyard of their own. There are also a number of summer camps in more rural areas that cater weddings (when the kids camp isn't in session, of course). The guests can rent log cabins.

If I don't end up eloping, I'll probably hold my wedding in a rustic setting. There are also a number of renovated barns (first built in the 1800s or earlier), that host weddings. I don't know if that's unusual.

Oh, and I love the idea of getting married while camping. If we do that, though, it would have to be an elopement. I don't see either of our parents wanting to sleep in a tent all weekend. Although I guess it might work if we camp somewhere that has hotels nearby.

Last edited:
I don't is that this is particularly unusual, but St. Louis has a beautiful botanical garden, and it's a lovely venue for weddings.

I had the memorial service for my mother in a meadow on the farm, and her 1974 VW Beetle attended. I think she would have approved.
My niece got married in the Roger Williams Park Botanical Gardens in Rhode Island. The reception was there as well because they had a banquet hall and all. It was stunning.

I've also seen people married on a mountaintop. Mount Monadnock in New Hampshire is a frequent spot for hiker weddings. :D My sister and I had to wait to reach the summit one day because of a wedding taking place. It was pretty cool. My sister also attended a wedding on the top of Mount Washington. The couple actually hiked up the mountain on the day of the wedding. My sister drove up the mountain road, hehe. She has hiked Mount Washington three times.

People get married on the beach all the time in Florida. There are several funny pictures I have seen of other people just wandering into the wedding! :D

Reactions: PTree15
I love beach weddings! One of my nephews got married in Avalon, New Jersey, on the beach. It was a gorgeous day and a gorgeous wedding.

Reactions: Mischief
We got a abba tribute band at our wedding venue a year ago, sweet and nostalgic at the same time.

Also remember those 98's versions of 80's pop hits? They're also great for a pre-wedding party, and music is really important for me.

Reactions: Mischief
I once knew a vegan couple who decided to get married at a naturist club. Apparently the naturist lifestyle appeals to some vegans. I can't say that it would appeal to me to get married naked, but I can understand the attraction of the free living lifestyle.