TV & Film TV and Film- genre

What is your favourite genre for TV, or Film

• Total voters
(By non humans I mean documentaries, not unethically made animal films.)

No option for comedy?!

Exactly my thought. Comedy is always my favorite.

Not to mention, I think “Futuristic” is part of the Science Fiction genre. May I suggest editing the poll to say “Science Fiction/Futuristic”, and add “Comedy”?

Last edited:
If Indian Summer or another mod wants to add comedy as an option then that is ok with me. It wont let me edit the poll.

RE: futuristic films... they are not always science fiction. Such as Mad Max & Thunderdome, or the Hunger Games I consider to be futuristic,

whereas science fiction could be Jurassic Part, Alien or Star Trek.

The difference is that futuristic films often involve more human/sociological chaos than sciency chaos that Science fiction movies are revolved around.

And as we get further into the new millenium we will be seeing more and more futuristic films. I see a lot of books of this topic in the library, particularly in the teen section. Teenagers these days love themselves some dystopia.

no room for horror....

anime could go in cartoon..

Not that I'll vote; I don't watch much these days.

I chose Indie/Artistic, but my DVD collection chose Comedy:

DVDProfilerGenres_zpse110793e.jpg

Reactions: Freesia
Fantacy. Like Lord of The Rings, The Hobbit, Harry Potter, Game of Thrones etc, but sci-fi on second place. So I'll woted that. :)

I think comedy is what I prefer, most of the time. Most of the time I want something enjoyable, and it's just not very enjoyable (most of the time) to spend 2 hours watching some poor teenagers making all the wrong choices just so Freddy Kruger can slash them to bits before it's over, or some far-fetched zombie apocalypse killing off huge swathes of people ...

The reason why I prefer comedy over everything else:

When we laugh, our bodies release endorphins, which relaxes us, reduces stress, and makes us feel better. Watching a funny movie is better than popping pills, IMO. When you're feeling sad, I think it's better to watch a silly comedy than wallow in a really sad movie. I remember when my sister and I saw "The Heat" in the theater last year; everyone in the theater laughed our asses off all throughout the movie. When it was over, people were smiling, laughing, talking, leaving the theater on a high. I think the world would be a better place if we had more movies like "The Heat." ;)

Reactions: Freesia
I prefer comedy too. I guess I missed a few categories. I didnt know there were so many genres :) .

Reactions: Amy SF
I like at least a few movies in all genres except anime, martial arts, animal movies and sports movies where the majority of the movie is showing them playing the sport.

I think the futuristic genre you're describing is referred to as dystopian (which I consider a type of drama).

I like:
Horror - suspense not slasher
Comedy - nothing with Adam Sandler
Action/Adventure
Independent
Science Fiction
Drama
Romance - romances are either dramas or comedies so I guess this is already covered by those two categories
Fantasy
International/Foreign
Animation - like Shrek or Monsters, Inc, not anime
Documentaries

Last edited:
I prefer horror to any other genre but I like psychological or supernatural films rather than slasher/ultra violent ones.

I'm not fond of rom coms as I usually find them too sickly and I don't watch harrowing dramas either.

I remember when my sister and I saw "The Heat" in the theater last year; everyone in the theater laughed our asses off all throughout the movie. When it was over, people were smiling, laughing, talking, leaving the theater on a high. I think the world would be a better place if we had more movies like "The Heat." ;)

That film was very funny!:p