Thinking about becoming plant based

Gabriel

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hey my name is Gabriel I am a college student studying the effects of eating a plant based diet and was wondering if anyone would be willing to answer some questions about their experience being vegan for a research paper. I am interesting in learning more about the vegan diet and possibly becoming plant based myself. The questions I had were: What was the main reason you decided to follow a vegan diet? How long were you plant based for? What problems did you have when you first started? How did being vegan effect your health? How did you stay on the diet long term? How did you feel after being on the diet for some time? What advice would you give to someone who is thinking about becoming plant based? Thank you for your help.

The questions I had were: What was the main reason you decided to follow a vegan diet?
In a nutshell it falls into the category of ethics. IMHO, that is always the main reason to follow a vegan lifestyle. but people will eat a vegan or plant based diet for health or environmental reasons, too.
How long were you plant based for?
It is hard to say. but I became interested in the vegan lifestyle for something like 23 years.
What problems did you have when you first started?
Its hard to remember now but I think the biggest problem I has was with misinformation. Some of the questions I had were hard to answer because of all the myths. Is soy bad.?Are eggs good? Fortunately I lucked out with finding a good podcast and good book.
The other thing was that I used to have a lot of trouble in the grocery store. Trying to find the one hamburger bun that is not made with butter and/or milk, and/or whey. Now I know most of what I need and if not, there are apps for that.
How did being vegan effect your health?
I don't have any stories with it curing anything wrong with me but then I didn't have anything wrong with me to begin with. The few illnesses I have had in the last 20 years had nothing to do with my diet.
The one thing I can tell you is that among people I know who are about my age I'm the only one without high blood pressure. but I'm not sure that is entirely because of my diet.
How did you stay on the diet long term?
I did struggle with cravings for a while. but I learned that cravings are not real and that eating things you crave usually don't make the craving go anyway anyway.
How did you feel after being on the diet for some time?
Pretty much the same
What advice would you give to someone who is thinking about becoming plant based? Thank you for your help.
Some people like to wade in. That is what I did. The benefit is that you can get used to things at your own pace. also there is a bit of a learning curve so it gives you time to learn what you need before you get in too deep.
However, despite my own personal experience, I think people should jump in. Putting things off or going slow can also be excuses for procrastination. It was for me, anyway. It takes weeks if not months for deficiencies to become a problem so its ok to jump in without being fully prepared. but if that is not your style than just get a good book, read it and as Nike like to say, Just do it.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition by Julieanna Hever

is a good place to start. or start listening to the Podcast, Food for thought. I used to listen to one episode a week.

Last edited:
What was the main reason you decided to follow a vegan diet?
From being a vegetarian eating dairy cheeses, and eggs as ingredients I realized using animals as commodities was just as bad
Since going vegan I've been wfpb at times. I keep falling off that wagon! I've loved processed vegan foods my whole life!
Probably overthinking. Cheese was a big component in most of my favorite foods. I realized I really only like some foods because of cheese, and had to stop eating them until i found vegan cheeses I liked. I took a few months to not have to think, and have it be normal
Eliminated cheese did help in mucus reduction. I had a lot of post nasal drip, throat clearing.
When I quit meat as vegetarian that had a lot of benefits in digestion
Same as being omnivore or vegetarian. I rarely have needs to eat out, live in a city with grocery choices, like to cook.
I guess like to cook might be the main attraction. I love to experiment in the kitchen, esp with seitan and vegan cheeses
I feel terrible after going on a junk food bender (like now!) but eating mostly wfpb I feel great--the stricter the better
What advice would you give to someone who is thinking about becoming plant based?
Don't conflate 'vegan' with plant based
I can't think of vegan without ethical choices behind that decision. The 'diet' simply is no animal products. that's it. By definition omnivores can eat insects, entrails, brains---or they can follow their version of whole foods with grass fed animals, ocean fish, and whole plants. Just as omnivore diets don't imply health or not, neither do vegan diets
You can vegan eating junk foods and processed foods. You can be vegan eating whole plant foods only
You can follow a plant based diet and not vegan

Reactions: Andy_T
I was born with a rare metabolic disease in which my parents had to severly lower my protein intake and I had to keep to this diet all through childhood and my teenage years. This meant no meat, no fish and no dairy. Butter and cream were fine seeing it is low in protein but apparantly this didn't take well with me so they changed to plant based milks and butters quite fast. When I was old enough to make an informed decision myself and actually had the choice at about 25 (this is about the time when the nerves system is fully grown) I decided there was no reason for me to ever eat meat, fish or dairy and I was fully aware at that time that eating these products was bad for health, bad for the environment and unethical so I made the only decision that made sense for me.

I'm 39 now so 39 years I guess.

I was born into it so I had no problems with it. Even as a child I had no problems with not being able to eat what the others ate.

I have low cholesterol, no deficiencies and I'm a very fit and sportive person. people estimate my age lower by 5 to 10 years.

For me this is not really a concern as I was born into it. The low protein I had to take in did mean I couldn't eat regular pastas, beans, bread etc and had to find low protein (which means low nutrients) alternatives so I had to take some food supplements in my younger years. To be honest it would be more difficult for me to have any other type of diet and vegan or vegetarian products are now MUCH easier to come by then 30 years ago.

I have never been on a diet. This is my regular eating pattern.

What advice would you give to someone who is thinking about becoming plant based?
It seems many are afraid they'll have a boring diet where they have nothing but the same salad bowl and smoothie day in - day out but with just a small bit of research, some cookbooks and some fresh produce you'll be making awesome and diverse dishes for any day of the year. Keep working with cookbooks or internet recipes diligently until you find you are better informed and start freestyling in the kitchen.

• Agree
Reactions: Clairey and bEt
I was a vegetarian and had become aware of the horrors of egg and dairy production, so I made the decision to go vegan.

I have been vegan for 15 years.

Most of the the problems stemmed from other people, who gave me a hard time about going vegan. My family, for instance, had tolerated my being vegetarian, but going vegan was "extreme" in their view. Also, my mom loves to cook, and she was worried she wouldn't be able to find tasty meals to prepare for me when I visited. She has come around big-time on that, even embracing some of the foods I bring to gatherings. My dad loves my vegan food. He asks for my vegan sausages all the time! I have noticed that I don't get invited to some of my friends' placed for dinner anymore, but I'm OK with that. We have other ways to socialize.

Ditching dairy was great for my digestive system. I apparently was lactose-intolerant.

My reasons for going vegan were ethical, so I honestly haven't had a real issue with eating this way. I stopped thinking of animals as food, and that was a big mindset reset. That's not to say that I don't miss things like cheese pizza once in a while, but that passing feeling will never be enough for me to ever go back to eating animals or their byproducts.

I felt a sense of relief knowing that I was doing my best not to harm animals or exploit them in any way. I felt lighter in spirit as well. It's the best decision I ever made.

I would encourage them to expand their menu and try new cuisines. Going vegan opened up a whole new culinary world to explore. I ate a fairly standard American diet before I went vegetarian and then vegan. There are so many interesting ethnic foods to experience. And with the proliferation of YouTube, you can find a recipe and cooking tips for just about anything. I would also encourage them to learn about the awful impact of eating meat and dairy on the environment.

• Agree
Reactions: bEt, Tom L. and Lou
Hey! Sound like a fun project you are doing! I have been vegan for almost two years now and here are some of mine answers. I didn't answer al questions since some isn't relevant to my situation :)

At first i wanted to see what it would be like to change my diet. How my body would react. I have suffered from an ED for long and before my recovery i tried a lot of different diets that would feel safe. A vegan diet was an answer to that problem. However, today i am sticking to being plant based for the environment and after learning more about climate, animal suffering and how a plant based diet can improve mine, the planet and the animals health i will never go back.

Cost and availability of the vegan products. At first i though i would have to live on the expensive substitutes that my budget couldn't fit. Like beyond burger and store bought vegan substitutes HOWEVER after doing my research i no longer buy these at al. I live on cheap staples like beans, rice, oats, nuts and seeds, tofu, fruits and veggies. The things i still buy is soy yogurt, soy/oat/almond milk and soy curls (dehydrated soy protein). I can easily stay in my budget now.

Well, now i can poop, i am no longer bloated, my skin is better, my breath is better, i don't feel heavy after a meals and my mental health is also better.

1: Do your research on what you should eat, what supplements to take and how to get enough food to maintain a healthy weight 2: Find inspiration and goals to keep motivated (if you need motivation, i don't anymore) 3: Try new recipes, new foods and find your favourites! 4: Buy vegan cookbooks and watch vegan documentaries 5: Enjoy being a better person for the climate, the animals and your own health! <3

Good luck mate <3