The Stranglehold of the GOP

Mischief

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
The GOP has a stranglehold in state and local politics, and thus on the U.S. Congress, that most Americans don't even grasp. If you're up to reading a book, I recommend Ratf**ked, by David Daley. Here's a link to a Fresh Air interview of the author, for a synopsis:
(If you click on the title of the piece, in the blue box, it will take you to a transcript of the interview, if you prefer to read rather than to listen.)

The GOP doesn't have a stranglehold in California. We've got a Democratic majority here. Think of California as shining Democratic beacon on a hill. :p

Reactions: Calliegirl
The GOP doesn't have a stranglehold in California. We've got a Democratic majority here. Think of California as shining Democratic beacon on a hill. :p

A cruel thing to say to someone who has spent her life in the reddest reaches of the Midwest. :(

This is exactly why weird, horrible legislation gets brought up on the state level and very nearly passes all the time. Under Clump this will only get worse.

I dunno about anyone else but I'm done just standing by. Direct action is required and I'm going to make a goddamn difference this time around.

Reactions: Mischief and Amy SF
That is an incredibly informative and important article.

Up to now, I had thought that the political system of the US with the electoral college and "red states" was unfortunately a remnant of a bygone area that had some unintended consequences.

However, it seems more that these are integral parts of the Republican parties insidious machinations to undermine democracy as everybody else is understanding it.

It does not often happen that I do agree with Mr. Trump, however, it seems that his assertion that the election was "horribly, horribly rigged" is indeed true. Not in the way he tried to make it sound, of course, but still...