Music The sound, sight and smell of the 80s

I guess ordinary people used dial-up modems and BBSes - Bulletin Board Systems. Modern Internet forums a.k.a. boards are descendants from the message boards they had on BBSes. I didn't have access to any of this, but I did swap cracked computer games and short messages with my "contacts" on diskettes that we sent through the mail. Good times.
I loved the 1980s: I met my husband, married, had my first child, and loved Compuserve and my Mac Plus with its 5 mb of memory lol. The music I hated for the most part. :)

y6esu8eg.jpg
aqy4u7u7.jpg

I guess ordinary people used dial-up modems and BBSes - Bulletin Board Systems. Modern Internet forums a.k.a. boards are descendants from the message boards they had on BBSes. I didn't have access to any of this, but I did swap cracked computer games and short messages with my "contacts" on diskettes that we sent through the mail. Good times.

Certainly sites like that existed, but they were dominated by techie types. Most people didn't have a PC much less the knowledge to navigate the internet. There were no search engines so you had to find stuff through word of mouth, by "accident" or through persistent and/or clever guesswork.

The first serach engine I used was called "web crawler". It was text based, ..but that aweful blocky computer text, not modern word processing text.

I was such an "early adopter" that my Yahoo email has my name mostly spelled out with.. no numbers at the end. I never understood why people took user names like JSmith6574956@yahoo.com

Pretty sweet chill-out video in the style of a "16bit computer game" (made to look like Amiga, maybe early Playstation?), although mostly for ambiance, with a sweet, sweet version of the legendary Crockett's Theme.
The video looks like it's the same thing over and over, but keep watching and you'll see it slowly changes!

Last edited:
Reactions: Val
I loved the 1980s: I met my husband, married, had my first child, and loved Compuserve and my Mac Plus with its 5 mb of memory lol. The music I hated for the most part. :)

y6esu8eg.jpg

aqy4u7u7.jpg

I absolutely loved the very first Macs. I had one a work and it was so easy to use. Much easier than today's very
high tech model.

Last edited:
I absolutely loved the very first Macs. I had one a work and it was so easy to use. Much easier than today's very
high tech model.

I had the complete opposite experience with a Mac back then. I tried to use a Mac in the computer lab at college to right justify some text on my resume. I spent a good two hours trying to figure out how to do it unsuccessfully. I then went over to the PC lab (Windows), and was able to use a basic word processing program to right justify the text within seconds.

I will never use an Apple product of any kind until they reimburse me for the two hours of my life I wasted.

I did quite a bit of work on Macintosh Computers (Mac Plus, later Macintosh II) at the end of the 80's and the beginning of the 90's, mainly because I worked in Desktop Publishing which was initially only available on Mac computers.

Way more advanced than Windows at that point in time, IMO up to the release of Windows for Workgroups 3.11 (that is when I made the switch from Apple to Windows).

We used Atari ST 1040 at school for desktop publishing, but this was at the very early 90s.

I used to find Macs somewhat difficult to use, with their lack of a right-click mouse button and strange user interface, but it has improved or grown on me over time. I don't use a Mac myself, but my wife has one and is a long-time fan. On rare occasions I've been allowed to use it a little bit :p

I had an Atari 1040 ST myself, but then changed over to the Macintosh, mainly because it supported PostScript laser printers that could achieve professional results, while the matrix printers on the Atari at that time were more for hobby use.