The saga of the leaky tap

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
For a couple of weeks now, we've had a leaky tap in the bathtub. Last weekend I purchased a wrench with the intention of fixing it then, but I was distracted, and later it was too late to fix it. My wife has a busy schedule during the week, so she wasn't able to fix it either. So this weekend I was really going to do it!

The water to the bathtub is separated in one cold water and one hot water tap, and the hot water one is the leaky one. For a while it was sufficient to just tighten it really well, but more recently it would still leak.

So I removed the whole tap part and took it to the hardware store. They recommended just changing the washer, which is the rubber ring at the bottom of the removable tap, which connects to the pipe. So I bought some at the hardware store. Three for £1.60 - cheap! Well, I got home, put it in, and discovered there was no difference - still leaking!

So I took the whole thing back to the store. This time they used a machine to file off some roughness on the metal piece just above the washer. So I returned home and put it back in. Still leaking :(

At this point the hardware store was closed, and it won't open again until Monday morning. So tonight I thought it would be a good idea to switch the faulty hot water tap with the cold water one, so we could be leaking cold water instead of hot water. It's the cheaper and less wasteful option. So after switching and turning the mains back on, I got a surprise: The tap that I thought was faulty, now on the cold water side, was perfectly fine. The other one, now on the hot water side, was leaking!

I guess it must be the pipe which is the problem. The water is coming out where it's supposed to come out, i.e. through the tap, not through the sides or anything. So the damage must be in the part of the pipe that connects to the tap somehow. So on Monday morning we're going to need a plumber.

So on Monday morning we're going to need a plumber.

You called, Sir?

Tch! You've had the cowboys in here doing this job haven't you luv ... and all the usual trade talk ...

Anyways, sounds like they reseated the tap for you, IS. Possible cause may simply be that the washer is not quite in correctly and can't form a seal. Worth a check?

Failing that all a plumber is likely to do is replace the whole tap.

If it were I, which it ain't, I would just buy a new set of taps and fit them myself.

(I'm not a plumber but my dad and brother both are, btw)

What about some kind of caulking/sealant? I like simple solutions, lol.

Reactions: ledboots
Anyways, sounds like they reseated the tap for you, IS.
Could be, for all I know!
Possible cause may simply be that the washer is not quite in correctly and can't form a seal. Worth a check?
Pretty sure the washer is in correctly. It sits on really tight, and there is no space between it and the metal piece it's attached to. Also, remember it was still leaking when I put the cold water tap (with its own washer that I hadn't touched) on the leaking side.

Failing that all a plumber is likely to do is replace the whole tap.

If it were I, which it ain't, I would just buy a new set of taps and fit them myself.

(I'm not a plumber but my dad and brother both are, btw)
I don't think a tap new will do it, for the reason I just mentioned, about the cold water tap also leaking when I put it on the hot water side.

What about some kind of caulking/sealant? I like simple solutions, lol.
That might work, but not sure I want to mess with that myself. We're only renting this place, and at this point it seems clear the problem is in an area for which the landlord is responsible. Which BTW means the plumber bill will be the landlord's problem.

Reactions: ledboots and KLS52
I don't think a tap new will do it, for the reason I just mentioned, about the cold water tap also leaking when I put it on the hot water side.

I'd misread that.

That's just weird. I don't even know how it's possible.

My diagnosis would be that your taps have become infested with some kind of watery poltergeist.

We finally have a plumber looking at it now! Should be interesting to see tonight if he managed to do anything about it. Presumably he'll need parts though... Well, we shall see.

Right. Like I guessed, the plumber needed parts, which he didn't have, and tomorrow he's going on holiday. So Jen has arranged for another plumber to come tomorrow.

The other plumber had a change of heart. If we're lucky, the first plumber will be able to come back next week some time.

I'm just glad we don't have a water meter.

The latest news is that some handyman jack-of-all-trades type is coming on Monday.
I hope he works out. I think handymen sometimes have a broader experience and can diagnose the problem. Plus they are often less expensive. :)
yhygy8ez.jpg

Reactions: Second Summer
The leak has been fixed! It almost feels like a small miracle. We were away when the handyman was here today, so not sure what he did.

The leak has been fixed! It almost feels like a small miracle. We were away when the handyman was here today, so not sure what he did.
Ack. And here I've been following the story, waiting to hear what was ultimately the cause that had eluded detection by the many who had searched for it. Alas, I feel as though I have been cheated. :sigh:

Ack. And here I've been following the story, waiting to hear what was ultimately the cause that had eluded detection by the many who had searched for it. Alas, I feel as though I have been cheated. :sigh:

YES!

It's all very nice that your :bath: is restored.

Not finishing the story though, that's just :potty:

IS, you have a binding moral responsibility to us all to find out what was wrong with that tap.

OK, we will try to find out what the problem was :) In a way I suppose we ought to know, in case it was something we had caused, inadvertently.

Right, so the problem was something about wear & tear on the seat/body that connects to the removable tap part, which caused resulted in a less-than-perfect connection, which was the cause of the dripping.

So the faulty part would be the seat in this diagram, I think:
rising-spindle.jpg

Right, so the problem was something about wear & tear on the seat/body that connects to the removable tap part, which caused resulted in a less-than-perfect connection, which was the cause of the dripping.

So the faulty part would be the seat in this diagram, I think:
rising-spindle.jpg

Exactly as I thought ...

Your tap had been infested by some form of watery poltergeist.

A small one, obviously. Most likely armed with a chisel.