The Olive Oil Hoax

das_nut

Forum Legend
Reaction score
By the late nineteen-nineties, olive oil—often cut with cheaper oils, such as hazelnut and sunflower seed—was the most adulterated agricultural product in the European Union. The E.U.’s anti-fraud office established an olive-oil task force, “yet fraud remains a major international problem,” Mueller wrote. “Olive oil is far more valuable than most other vegetable oils, but it is costly and time-consuming to produce—and surprisingly easy to doctor.”

Nearly five years later, fraud remains a problem. Mueller has expanded the scope of his article’s research with his recent book “Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil,” which focusses on the contamination of olive oil not only by seed oils but by the misuse of the label “extra virgin” on olive oils that don’t meet that designation’s standards

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2012/02/the-exchange-tom-mueller.html

Now I need to figure out what an economical but reliable olive oil source is.

I have often wondered why olive oil isn't more expensive, now i guess I know. :mad:

I use it all the time. Mainly because of the "good" cholesterolit contains.
I've been using it as my main cooking oil ever since my Dad had a heart attack several years ago.
Not as happy about it now.