The most common questions from non vegans?

Not really a question, but if I had a nickel for every time someone said to me, "I could be vegan but for the cheese".

Reactions: Vegan Dogs
Not really a question, but if I had a nickel for every time someone said to me, "I could be vegan but for the cheese".
M had difficulty with cheese but she managed it. She doesn't miss it at all now. My weakness is egg and I don't think there will ever be a suitable substitute but I don't think about it very often so it's not a problem. I did meet somebody who didn't understand basic supply/demand and thought I was naive for thinking that people not buying animal foods made any difference. I dare say that's not a common issue though.

M had difficulty with cheese but she managed it. She doesn't miss it at all now. My weakness is egg and I don't think there will ever be a suitable substitute but I don't think about it very often so it's not a problem. I did meet somebody who didn't understand basic supply/demand and thought I was naive for thinking that people not buying animal foods made any difference. I dare say that's not a common issue though.
Actually, at present vegan levels, "people not buying animal foods" doesn't make much of a difference.
Take for instance dairy. Milk sales per capita has been dropping steadily for years. but the amount of milk produced world wide is greater than ever before - because there are more people.

and vegan contribution to declining milk sales is still just a small component. Surveys put most of the blame on the fact that people don't sit down to eat breakfast (cereal) anymore.

alternatives to milk do have an effect on milk sales. but most of those alternatives go to people who are not vegan.

You should be getting some good alternatives to eggs in the stores this year. Maybe even some good nondairy cheeses.

Reactions: Brian W
Actually, at present vegan levels, "people not buying animal foods" doesn't make much of a difference.
Take for instance dairy. Milk sales per capita has been dropping steadily for years. but the amount of milk produced world wide is greater than ever before - because there are more people.

and vegan contribution to declining milk sales is still just a small component. Surveys put most of the blame on the fact that people don't sit down to eat breakfast (cereal) anymore.

alternatives to milk do have an effect on milk sales. but most of those alternatives go to people who are not vegan.

You should be getting some good alternatives to eggs in the stores this year. Maybe even some good nondairy cheeses.
It would make a difference if all vegans started drinking cows milk again though.

Thanks for this info - I did not know that milk sales per capita was dropping. Sometimes its sheer short-sightedness to increase milk output, I feel. Like always these are complicated matters.

Also not a question, but almost every time I talk about veganism with non-vegans, it ends with "But plants feel pain too!!!!".

• Friendly
Reactions: Ahimsa and 1956
Also not a question, but almost every time I talk about veganism with non-vegans, it ends with "But plants feel pain too!!!!".
Oh, god, I hate that. On several levels. I could go on a about it but I think we have covered that well in other threads. But (cause I can't help myself) the fact that the people who say it don't even know what they are talking about is especially infuriated. The whole idea was a hoax.

The other one that keeps coming up is the one about complete proteins. Not a hoax but the author who started that myth recanted 50 years ago.

Reactions: IC_ and 1956
Ha. Serendipity.
got this in my mail box today.

I really liked how the author almost avoids the idea that plants feel pain by just saying that the animals meat eaters eat, eat a lot of plants.

animals raised for consumption are fed a third of the world cereal harvest and 70% of the world soybean harvest, but they return less in meat, milk and eggs than the plants they consume. And when we eat animals, we are also responsible for all the wasted crops they consumed. Thus, we can significantly reduce any potential suffering for plants by being vegan, while reducing actual suffering for animals.​

Do I eat bread. Seriously, with the gluten free trend, and so many vegan products now also gluten free, I get people thinking vegans don't eat wheat.
I have a friend who only recently understood that I ate rice. Why she latched onto rice neither one of us can explain :rofl:

You could eat a vegan burger made from Seitan and/or lentils in a bun with tomatoes and pickles … all fruits.

When I first went vegan 13 years ago, I met a very determined fellow vegan who told me that he did not eat any root vegetables as eating them requires the killing of the whole plant…

What do you eat for dinner?
How do you build muscle?

The worst may be, Why did you go vegan? That tells me that people haven't even thought about the horrors of what they eat.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou