Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
The place to discuss classical music.

My favorite composer: Antonio Vivaldi
Favorite concerto:
Vivaldi Violin Concerto in C major, 'Il piacere' Op.8 No.6, RV180 ...

I also love Vivaldi's Le Quattro Stagioni (The Four Seasons) and La Tempesta di Mare (Sea Storm)

Favorite opera: The Magic Flute, Mozart*
Favorite symphony: Beethoven Symphony No. 6, The Pastoral. Part of this symphony was put to good use in an early episode of The Simpsons, Marge vs. Itchy & Scratchy

*I'm not exactly an opera fan, but I can sit through The Magic Flute precisely because it's really an operetta.

I also like the use of the overture to Mozart's opera The Marriage of Figaro at the beginning of the movie Trading Places.

And yes, I LOVE the movie Amadeus.

Reactions: Andy_T and Tom L.
A few favorites of mine:

In piano playing, I enjoy playing some of Bach's preludes because of their rounded effect, and how both hands' parts fit together so well. It makes a nice warm-up.

One of my favorite pieces would be Erik Satie's Trois Gnossiennes, because it's slightly odd, in style and in form. And it always makes me feel so emotional, especially when I am playing it all alone, and everything around me is quiet.

I enjoy Prokofieff's Peter and the Wolf, because it's a classic and it reminds me of a cartoon movie I watched when I was younger.

I know Edvard Grieg's music is heard often, but I like his music anyway. And his name is cool. :D

Personally, I don't think much of Mozart, but I will admit that I have not played or listened to that much of his work. If Alla Turca is any indication of his quality, then I don't think I would like him that much, but I suppose you can't really generalize a musician by only one thing. Maybe I will watch that movie sometime.

I would write about Ragtime, but I'm not sure if that really fits into the classical music category.

*BUMP* HOW did I miss this thread? I love virtually all kinds of music, but if I had to pick one, it would be classical- although by "classical" I mean renaissance, baroque, classical, romantic, and impressionist (even some modern too, such as Randall Thompson- his Second Symphony is a favorite of mine). But if I had to narrow it down further, it would be Romantic, I suppose, followed by classical. (I really must listen to more renaissance- I don't know that much about it.)

Tchaikowski (sp?) really introduced me to classical and I love his 5th symphony, but his 6th symphony is just too gut-rippingly sad and tragic. Brahms' 4th symphony is probably my top favorite: dark and intense in spots, but not tragic at all IMO- I've loved it since I first heard it in 1970. I love Beethoven's piano music and his 7th symphony: that slow movement is just spellbinding, and someone accurately described one of its faster movements as "like driving a bus with no brakes down a steep, winding mountain road". One of the last concerts my Mom and I saw included this symphony, and also Rachmaninoff's second(?) piano concerto played by- I kid you not- Van Cliburn.

Other favorites: "The Sorcerer's Apprentice", by Paul Dukas; "La Valse", by Maurice Ravel- starts very dreamy, but ends almost like a nightmare- but in a good way- and also his string quartet in F; Borodin's string quartet (interesting guy- he was primarily a research chemist but had the talent and made time to compose too); "Appalachian Spring", by Aaron Copeland...

Reactions: Val and Andy_T
Personally, I don't think much of Mozart, but I will admit that I have not played or listened to that much of his work. If Alla Turca is any indication of his quality, then I don't think I would like him that much, but I suppose you can't really generalize a musician by only one thing. Maybe I will watch that movie sometime.

Hmm, while I like "Alle Turca", the only real practical usage I can remember is that it is sufficiently simple for aspiring pianists (like myself, some 30 to 40 years ago) to practice on. Mind you, I was not very aspiring.

While nice, I think it is not really exemplary for Mozart's genius ...
Maybe a starting point, as I am not a classical music expert at all myself: Mozart's best music: where to start - Classic FM

Val, I will definitely check that out!
I do love his "Zarathustra", so I am now curious about the "Metamorphosen".

(I know! Youtube is likely not the best way to enjoy an audiophilic experience, but it's a first impression at least...)

Reactions: Val
Val, I will definitely check that out!
I do love his "Zarathustra", so I am now curious about the "Metamorphosen".

(I know! Youtube is likely not the best way to enjoy an audiophilic experience, but it's a first impression at least...)
Have you heard the Gustav Mahler's Finale of 9th simphony? ;) THAT is a THING:rolleyes: I mean, if you like Richard Strauss, you would definitely love Mahler. His music is considered to be postexpressionism as well.

Last edited: