Supreme Court rules Amazon doesn’t have to pay for after-hours time in security lines

beancounter

The Fire That Burns Within
Reaction score
Supreme Court rules Amazon doesn’t have to pay for after-hours time in security lines - The Washington Post

So, another case of the minimum wage worker getting screwed. I understand the courts reasoning, but everyone's time is money, not just professionals. They are required to wait in the security check line, thus it is a condition of employment..so IMO, Amazon should pay them for that waiting time.

Now if the wait time was 10 minutes or less, I'd say it's not worth it, but it approaches a half hour per day, or 2.5 hours per week - or about $20 - ($1,040 per year) which is potentially more food on the table.

Last edited:
I don't understand the court's ruling at all. Ethically, it doesn't matter that they're not employed to wait in a line to go through security checks, as long as they are required by the employer to do so.

It doesn't surprise me. I worked for a big box store that required you to be there about 20 minutes early to get let into the store, if your shift began before the store opened. If you weren't there early, you had to wait outside until they felt like letting you in and then you were usually late. You couldn't clock in yet either, you had to sit and wait for 20 minutes before you could clock in and start. It was ridiculous.

Quote from the article:
"But the court agreed with the Obama administration in reading the law to favor the company."

Isn't he the same guy who wants to raise the minimum wage. A tad Bi-polar perhaps?... :rolleyes::p