Slug & Snail barrier (vegan friendly)

You are lucky to have such a lovely big garden Trinity.
Do I detect a slight Liverpudlian accent there ?:)

Yes, we are really blessed! It's an ex council house with a massive corner plot (they used to give away huge gardens back in the day they were built). It was all rubble and grass when we arrived - so a lot of TLC.

I'm from Northumberland originally - so that would be a bit of Geordie that you detect, since I spent a lot of my childhood in Newcastle :) I have travelled a lot, lived abroad and things, so I lost a lot of my original accent.

Well done! And even some didgeridoo music, and a photogenic cat!

I'm sure a lot of people can relate, not just veg*ns. Killing snails & slugs just to keep them off our plants seem so unnecessary.

I've heard of people using a "moat" filled with beer as a barrier, but I think the snails and slugs are attracted to it, so they end up drowning in it rather than trying to avoid it. This also seems like a total waste of beer! So copper tape must be so much better.

and a photogenic cat
She follows me everywhere and says 'what am I missing out on, what's happening'. It's impossible not to have her make an appearance.

I've heard of methods like the beer thing too. Quite please I've found something that works powerfully without that though. Having to pick them off by hand (which was my favoured method before I discovered the copper tape idea) was so time consuming.

Reactions: KLS52
As a huge fan of snails, thanks so much for putting this information out there. From past experience I'm pretty sure copper won't stop the really persistent ones, but it should gross enough of them out to keep your plants in good shape.

I've heard that eggshells are supposed to help if you scatter them around the plant in a circle. Slugs and snails are supposed to avoid sharp edges. I haven't tried it yet. Has anyone else?

I've heard that eggshells are supposed to help if you scatter them around the plant in a circle. Slugs and snails are supposed to avoid sharp edges. I haven't tried it yet. Has anyone else?
Haven't tried, but heard that doesn't work. Copper seems to work better.

when I was into gardening I sat down and thought it out re white butterfly ,slugs snails ,birds and wind .
So I built a big plastic house and used no dig and organic principles,it all worked out very 😊
I have used copper strips, that worked well.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
🤔I remember now ,I found an old house that was going to be pulled down and ripped out the copper wiring and burned the plastic of and used the remaining copper wire to put around my plants

🤔I remember now ,I found an old house that was going to be pulled down and ripped out the copper wiring and burned the plastic of and used the remaining copper wire to put around my plants
Good idea to remove and reuse the copper! I heard electric companies used copper for their wires back in the day, but that they have now switched to aluminium as it's cheaper.