News Seven Things I Wish I Knew Before I Went Vegan

My research was very in depth before and during giving up animal products.

I can certainly relate to "If I never do something, it requires no self-control for me; if I do something sometimes, it requires enormous self-control." I never had an issue with missing cheese or meat but I do have this issue with junk foods. I could happily go a month without eating crisps or biscuits if I lived alone and never went anywhere were they are any, and I would more or less forget they exist. But once I start nibbling, I can´t stop.

I agree with the restaurants part, they can always make it work. I don´t think I have ever sat down in a restaurant and after looking at the menu and then speaking to the waiter been like "oh dear, are we going to have to leave??". Even if there is nothing on the menu but salad and fries, you can always have salad and fries. Or ask them to make you something. I have sometimes ordered two side dishes and combined them into a plate and made a nice meal.

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
I became vegan gradually and without a clear plan. One thing that If I knew would have made things easier was that soy milk does NOT cause man boobs. or cancer. or all the other stuff Mercola said.

The one piece of good advice I got and give to others: read a f****ing book. So I will put that as my number one.
I agree with the restaurants part, they can always make it work.
Yes! I have said that and then people tell me I'm just a spoiled Californian.