[Sep 24, 2014] Phuket Vegetarian Festival (Phuket, Thailand)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
From the website:
The Phuket Vegetarian Festival is an annual event held during the ninth lunar month of the Chinese calendar. It is believed that the vegetarian festival and its accompanying sacred rituals bestow good fortune upon those who religiously observe this rite. During this time, local residents of Chinese ancestry strictly observe a 10-day vegetarian or vegan diet for the purposes of spiritual cleansing and merit-making. Sacred rituals are performed at various Chinese shrines and temples and aesthetic displays such as walking barefooted over hot coals and ascending ladders with bladed rungs are performed by entranced devotees known as "Ma Song".

http://www.phuketvegetarian.com/

Reactions: ledboots
The Phuket Vegetarian Festival seems to be the Thai incarnation of The Nine Emperor Gods Festival:
Celebration in Thailand
In Thailand, this festival is called Tesagan Gin Je เทศกาลกินเจ, the Vegetarian Festival. It is celebrated throughout the entire country, but the festivities are at their height in Phuket, where about 35% of the population is Thai Chinese. It attracts crowds of spectators because of many of the unusual religious rituals that are performed.

In accordance with the traditions, many religious devotees will perform ritualized mutilation upon themselves and one another (with the consent of, context and understanding of all involved and the practice itself) while under a trance-like state, including but not limited to: impaling through cheeks, arms, face, legs, back etc., with everything from as small as syringes to as large as is agreed upon between all members; partial skinning (the skin is not removed, just cut and flipped over); slashing of limbs, chest, stomach and especially tongue with swords, axes and knives; bloodletting; removal of tissue (normally limited to cysts) and intentionally wrapping or standing near fire crackers as they are lit.
More: Nine Emperor Gods Festival - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wish I could be there. Haven't been to Thailand in over a decade and I can still taste the curry I had in a beach restaurant there lol,

Status
Not open for further replies.