Re-using, recycling, new uses for old things.

Bumping this thread because of chopsticks.

From time to time, I’ll get some cucumber rolls from the refrigerated sushi case at Whole Foods. I’ll also grab some disposable wooden chopsticks they have available near the sushi case. When I throw them out after I have finished the sushi, however, I feel guilty about it because I only used them once. I just googled if it’s possible to reuse disposable wooden chopsticks, and this website says yes:

Plus they give some other ideas on what to do with disposable chopsticks.

I was concerned that they’d have a continued smell after using them with strong smelling foods such as soy sauce, wasabi and ginger, but I think if they’re allowed to soak in hot soapy water for a while, it might not be a problem. I’ll try it with the next pair I use.
I used to reuse my wooden chopsticks all the time, but last year I bought a set of four pairs made out of some sort of hard plastic. I really like them.

Reactions: Tom L. and Lou
I used to reuse my wooden chopsticks all the time, but last year I bought a set of four pairs made out of some sort of hard plastic. I really like them.
I bought my son a pair of stainless steel ones. I don't use them myself. He wouldn't reuse the wooden ones

Reactions: Andy_T and PTree15
I buy about one roll of paper towels every 9 months. I also just started taking a towel with me to the bathroom at work (along with my little travel size Dr. Bronners soap). I know I'm the only one who does that. I figure that saves at least 30 paper towels per week I would otherwise use that i don't need to.

I bought the bamboo towels that can be washed 80 times in the washing machine. Best sustainable investment I've made. I bought them 2 years ago.

They came in a two pack, and I am still using the bamboo rags from the 1st roll.

Reactions: Lou
I bought the bamboo towels that can be washed 80 times in the washing machine. Best sustainable investment I've made. I bought them 2 years ago.

They came in a two pack, and I am still using the bamboo rags from the 1st roll.
I got two towels for $1 at the dollar store. then I bought 4 more. I use just one a day and then I put it in the laundry basket.

Reactions: Tom L.
I largely replaced toilet paper by installing a bidet toilet seat, much cleaner than using paper.
I got the « luxury » version with heated water and warm air, but got a Korean product from Amazon instead of the more expensive Japanese ones (e.g. « Toto Washlet »)

Since I go through 150-200 wood pellet bags a winter, I find other uses for them. They work great as tall kitchen trash bags. I also use them to collect and take back my recyclables, since the bags themselves are recyclable. I can use as floor protectors. Carry tools around. Keep merchandise in vehicles from prying eyes, and since they’re white, keep it out of the sun. I could even make them into reusable store bags that will never break, but haven’t done that yet.

I use old newspapers and water and stove ash for cleaning the stove glass. Works just as well as buying cleaners and paper towels.

Worn out towels get used for house messes, then for garage messes. Once my good clothes get worn out, they get used for when I work on things, then as shop rags. Old torn/stained blankets get used as moving blankets.

Almost everything in the kitchen ends up in the garage for its second life. Pans, trays, cups, knives, pitchers, funnels... Rugs used as car floor mats or in the garage.

Many other things I don’t necessarily re-use, as I use it for as long as still works or I can fix it, therefore not buy a replacement. I don’t need or want the latest and greatest anything.

I saw this on a Netflix cooking show. She was cutting up cucumbers that were all perfectly the same size.

I had a tool like that years ago and never used it, I don't even know where it came from

I have one of those

I'm heading over to Sally Beauty Supply tomorrow to pick up an Afro Pick. I like having small items to work with. All of those gadgety things tend to pile up in the kitchen.

I'm heading over to Sally Beauty Supply tomorrow to pick up an Afro Pick. I like having small items to work with. All of those gadgety things tend to pile up in the kitchen.
Think about whether it will really pierce the things you'd want to cut. I feel that's why I didn't use mine, and it was made for that