Re earthquake 7.5 New Zealand

Blues

Forum Legend
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
You might have picked up on the news media we had a bit of a shake downunder , a 7.5 about 20 hours ago , there have been just over 830 aftershocks since ,some over 6 .

Thankfully, nothing like the Christchurch earthquake , but over a much larger area .Two dead , some houses wiped out , and communities road locked and a lot of superficial damage to houses .

We don't have many main highways up and down the country , in some areas only one , so with the extensive road damage/slips to the main highways/rail tracks , its going to take a while to get large areas of the country up and running .

We wont need international assistance like we received with Christchurch. We seem to have good systems in place to work through situations like this .So providing the swam of aftershocks settle down and no more major shakes or tsunamis happen , we should get through this o/k . :up:

I saw the cows getting stuck on the patch of grass.

694940094001_5209570366001_Powerful-earthquakes-hit-New-Zealand.jpg

(I saw the cows getting stuck on the patch of grass.)

The family of cows that were left stranded on an earthquake island have reportedly been saved.

Rescuers dug a trench to free the cows from the small dirt peak where they were trapped, Newshub reported.

Reactions: Tom L. and KLS52
(I saw the cows getting stuck on the patch of grass.)

The family of cows that were left stranded on an earthquake island have reportedly been saved.

Rescuers dug a trench to free the cows from the small dirt peak where they were trapped, Newshub reported.

I'm pleased to hear that. I honestly thought that no one would save the poor mites.

I'm glad it's not as bad as it looks...seems like quite a bit of damage, still.

This is a rather weird coincidence.For 30 years we have a nuclear ban on ships entering NZ . Because the USA would never confirm or deny if their ships were carrying nuclear weapons , entry to our ports was denied .

Anyway, both the NZ and USA got together and had a bit of a cuddle and have allowed a warship to enter .

The warship that was sent here ,which was almost here , was diverted to the
South Island to offer assistance .

First U.S. warship to visit New Zealand in 30 years on way to help after quake

The first U.S. warship to visit New Zealand in more than 30 years was changing course Tuesday to help evacuate people stranded in a coastal town following a powerful earthquake.

Hundreds of tourists and residents remained stranded in the town of Kaikoura and faced a third disrupted night after a powerful quake early Monday cut off train and vehicle access.

New Zealand military officials said they were on target to evacuate about 200 people by helicopter Tuesday as a major rescue operation unfolded.

New Zealand Defense Minister Gerry Brownlee said that the USS Sampson was heading south to Kaikoura and would be able to deploy two helicopters to help in the evacuation

I'm glad it's not as bad as it looks...seems like quite a bit of damage, still.
It will be in the billions KLS ....earthquakes unfortunately are a "right of passage " of growing up in NZ and living here .

Well , they are slowly working through the mess ,with 4000 aftershocks . Wellington suffered a bit more damage than they thought it had and they have to start "deconstructing"(demolishing ) some commercial office blocks buildings.

Watch: Kaikoura's new coast .

I thought I had posted this photo :dismay:

I heard the traffic on the immigration sites to NZ rocketed after the Trump win , somehow I think now , oops we will give that place a miss :eek:

It's just "the internet", controversial, and I can't vouch for the source, but interesting, nonetheless.
Scientists Find Link Between Global Warming and Earthquakes

Maybe , but I doubt it , it seems, if it happens today its a Global Warming reason .

A lot of downtown waterfront in Wellington ( the capital) which was shaken about in the recent quake is built on reclaimed land that arose from the sea from a quake (8.1) that hit them around 1850 .

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-24_8-36-57.jpeg
    upload_2016-11-24_8-36-57.jpeg
    11.9 KB · Views: 109