Raw veganism

alligatortears

Gigantically queer
Reaction score
So I've been wanting to try this for awhile but would it be possible considering I'm 16 and obviously live with my parents?
If there are any raw vegans here can you help me to understand more-could I go part raw since I wouldn't be able to do it all the time? (Or is that like being vegetarian and eating fish?) :iiam:

Yes, I think part raw can be fine, since it's done for yourself and not the animals.

Don't think that anyone would judge you for it regardless.

Here's something to consider

"We should prepare vegetables in whichever manner entices us to eat the greatest quantity."

It's also worth remembering there are many nutrients one cannot get from raw vegetables alone, such as the B vitamins, and that there's a ton of good scientific evidence that cooking actually makes some vegetables healthier, like tomatoes.

You can absolutely go partially raw, and that's how many people do it. You don't have to be what is called "high raw" to be a "raw foodist". I would look around the web for as much information as you can before you make the leap to raw. There are pros and cons to just about any way of eating and even the pros and cons are surrounded by controversy. For instance, Josh James mentions that cooking can actually make some vegetables healthier. While cooking tomatoes increases their amount of licopene, there is no conclusive evidence on whether or not we need as much licopene as it provides once it's cooked. So see, a pro of cooking is controversial. As I said in another thread recently, everyone must draw their line in the sand about what is best for them.

If you decide to go raw, great for you, it's not for me...but well...that's my line in the sand :). I only encourage you (and anyone who is changing their eating patterns) to research things as much as possible before starting and if you have any specific questions feel free to post here or PM me...I did the raw food thing for a while and I have a very close friend who is high raw and I could field any questions to her.

I like to experiment with raw food. I by no means consider myself a raw foodist, but I'll have the occasional raw day - and I find that when I do, I feel a lot healthier for a few days, like all the fresh food has cleaned my system or something. Maybe try simple things, like smoothies for breakfast or some simple raw recipes - incorporate them into your diet here and there to see how it goes. My raw day will usually go like this:

Breakfast: green smoothie and a fruit salad
Snack: Fruit smoothie
Lunch: Salad (a really big one)
Snack: raw vegetables (baby corn, mange tout, etc)
Snack: bananas
Dinner: Some sort of 'main' dish, like this one: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/raw-zucchini-pasta-in-vegan-curry-cream.html

And then I'll drink water or fresh juice throughout the day. My menu never really varies from this, because I do it fairly infrequently and I'm not that experienced with raw food. But when I do it, it's really tasty :)