Protein Quality Scoring

VeganForum

Official VF bot
Reaction score
JackNorrisRD said:
by Jack Norris, RD Discussions about protein needs tend to revolve around nitrogen balance studies and protein quality scores. One of the earliest ways to assess protein quality was the protein efficiency ratio (PER) which is based on the growth of rats. In 1989, the Food and Agriculture Organization (FOA) recommended the protein digestibility–corrected amino […]
More: Protein Quality Scoring

• Informative
Reactions: bEt
Seems like a lot of attention spent on something that is not an issue.
No one in a first world country has a protein deficiency.
The disease caused by protein deficiency is Kwashiorkor. Yeah, I never heard of it before either. And the only people who suffer from it are people who are already severely malnourished.

Just eat enough food.
If you eat a large variety of whole based foods you will eat enough protein, and most of the other nutrients and micronutrients too.

Hi Jack, I agree with Lou on this. Although the topic of protein quality scoring is academically interesting, I don't think it has practical value for the everyday vegetarian or vegan. As long as you follow the vegetarian/vegan nutrition recommendations from trusted sources (like the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics), and as long as you get enough calories, protein shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks guys. Sometimes I wonder if I'm too sensitive on this issue.
Hey Vegan, where to you get your protein, has been repeated so many times, maybe its become a sore spot.
I like the line from What The Health?, Where do YOU get your fiber?

We should compare the number of vegans who got Kwashiorkor, to the numbers of weight lifters how got kidney disease from too much protein. or maybe the number of omnivores who got colon cancer after years of not getting enough fiber.

Reactions: Brian W
Seems like a lot of attention spent on something that is not an issue.
No one in a first world country has a protein deficiency.
The disease caused by protein deficiency is Kwashiorkor. Yeah, I never heard of it before either. And the only people who suffer from it are people who are already severely malnourished.

Just eat enough food.
If you eat a large variety of whole based foods you will eat enough protein, and most of the other nutrients and micronutrients too.
There's a difference between outright protein deficiency and sub-optimal protein intake, which can result in e.g. loss of muscle mass and bone mass, fatigue and poor immune system.

It looks like the OP is Jack Norris, the registered dietitian who co-authors the veganhealth.org website: About
I'm not dismissing it really. While we may be tired of the whole protein thing, it is important to keep a wide variety of whole foods, with a focus on beans and stuff
Really highlights the beauty of Dr Gregers daily dozen

Reactions: David3
There's a difference between outright protein deficiency and sub-optimal protein intake, which can result in e.g. loss of muscle mass and bone mass, fatigue and poor immune system.
True. and as we get older we need more protein.
But still it's not nearly as big a problem as most people think.
even as a vegan I get enough protein without really even trying.

Reactions: David3 and KLS52