US Physician assisted suicide

IME, hospice care is free only to the extent you are covered by Medicare, Medicaid or other insurance. In other words, not available for me or the millions like me.

The proposed law described cited in the OP defined a "terminally ill" person as someone who would die within six months. Not someone who was a quadriplegic or has another chronic condition. The application for assistance would had to be made by the person in question, and would have had to be approved by two separate doctors.

I don't see what additional safeguards anyone could want - I think that, if you're against a law like this, you're against physician assisted suicide, period, full stop. That of course is your prerogative, but then we should be discussing whether physician assisted suicide is appropriate, instead of arguing implications/assumptions about provisions that weren't in or applicable to the proposed law.

Having seen a number of people I care about through their final illnesses, I am all for easing the process for the dying when they so wish. I certainly hope that I have the ability to do it for myself when the time comes.

As for finding someone dead of medication - if you think you would be traumatized by that, imagine walking in on someone who has shot themselves, hung themselves, or died in one of the other ways available to those physically able enough to carry out the act, but who don't have the option of dying much more tranquilly because of objections to medications being prescribed by a doctor.

I think that people in this society are so afraid of death that they want to be removed from it completely. It's a fact of life that cannot be avoided. I find it much, much more difficult to witness suffering than to witness a relatively peaceful death.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr and kuzu
Yes, free when covered by insurance, I should have specified. Soon all Americans will be insured, so it will be free for all very soon, I assume. :)

Hospice has saved many, many people and their loved ones from painful, scary hospital deaths, so I have a huge soft spot for them. I've seen too many pretty horrible lingering hospital deaths with unnecessary painful interventions. I don't think the hospices are in it for the money.

This article about hospice is pretty interesting. http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp078067

I think a lot of doctors would hesitate to prescribe a lethal dose of medication even under the stringent conditions outlined in the law. The oath they take, plus worries about later family lawsuits.

Assuming there is genuine concern about inadequate safeguards (as opposed to complete disapproval of all euthanasia), couldn't we let people individually specify their own preferred safeguards?

Basically what I'm suggesting is to have a registry where people could file a statement about what safeguards they want, including ways to add safeguards to the process of amending their own statement. Later, when a patient is being considered for euthanasia, the doctor would have to check with the registry about exactly which requirements apply to that particular patient, and ensure all had been fulfilled.

That way I, as someone much more worried about suffering than about being maliciously killed by my doctor, could shun most safeguards in favor of easier access. Someone else might choose safeguards like those used in Washington or Oregon, or if they were very worried about abuse, even irrevocably waive their own right to euthanasia. Wouldn't that provide adequate safeguards for everyone who wants them, without infringing so much on the rights of people who don't?

Hospice has saved many, many people and their loved ones from painful, scary hospital deaths, so I have a huge soft spot for them. I've seen too many pretty horrible lingering hospital deaths with unnecessary painful interventions. I don't think the hospices are in it for the money.

I also prefer people utilizing hospice services rather than lingering in hospitals - if that's what they want. I would also like them to have the option to be able to legally end their lives - if that's what they want.

I don't think hospices, in general, or the nurses specifically, are in it for the money. But as long as health care is a for-profit system, someone is concerned about possibly losing business if fewer patients are choosing their services.

I think a lot of doctors would hesitate to prescribe a lethal dose of medication even under the stringent conditions outlined in the law. The oath they take, plus worries about later family lawsuits.

The Death With Dignity Acts in both Oregon and Washington protect doctors from lawsuits. In both of those states, there are doctors willing to prescribe medication that patients can use to end their own lives. (23 prescriptions were given the first year Oregon's laws were active.)
However, where legally assisted suicide is not legal, doctors who may give out a prescription that a patient uses to end their life could face lawsuits from family members.

Assuming there is genuine concern about inadequate safeguards (as opposed to complete disapproval of all euthanasia), couldn't we let people individually specify their own preferred safeguards?

Basically what I'm suggesting is to have a registry where people could file a statement about what safeguards they want, including ways to add safeguards to the process of amending their own statement. Later, when a patient is being considered for euthanasia, the doctor would have to check with the registry about exactly which requirements apply to that particular patient, and ensure all had been fulfilled.

That way I, as someone much more worried about suffering than about being maliciously killed by my doctor, could shun most safeguards in favor of easier access. Someone else might choose safeguards like those used in Washington or Oregon, or if they were very worried about abuse, even irrevocably waive their own right to euthanasia. Wouldn't that provide adequate safeguards for everyone who wants them, without infringing so much on the rights of people who don't?

I think there needs to be some legal threshold that applies to everyone, without a lot of extra red tape making it more difficult. The registry thing would make it more difficult for patients, and more work for doctors (who are already probably overworked).
I also don't think people are worried about doctors maliciously killing anyone, it's more concern that family members that might stand to gain persuading their elderly or ill relative to go ahead with suicide.

I agree.

I also prefer people utilizing hospice services rather than lingering in hospitals - if that's what they want. I would also like them to have the option to be able to legally end their lives - if that's what they want.

I don't think hospices, in general, or the nurses specifically, are in it for the money. But as long as health care is a for-profit system, someone is concerned about possibly losing business if fewer patients are choosing their services.

The Death With Dignity Acts in both Oregon and Washington protect doctors from lawsuits. In both of those states, there are doctors willing to prescribe medication that patients can use to end their own lives. (23 prescriptions were given the first year Oregon's laws were active.)
However, where legally assisted suicide is not legal, doctors who may give out a prescription that a patient uses to end their life could face lawsuits from family members.

I think there needs to be some legal threshold that applies to everyone, without a lot of extra red tape making it more difficult. The registry thing would make it more difficult for patients, and more work for doctors (who are already probably overworked).
I also don't think people are worried about doctors maliciously killing anyone, it's more concern that family members that might stand to gain persuading their elderly or ill relative to go ahead with suicide.

I agree.