Packing it away!

SquarePeg

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lunches that is.

I have a 12-hour clinical rotation tomorrow, and if you've ever had to try to eat a hospital you know that they're awful places to find healthy, let alone vegetarian, foods. So I'm packing my lunch and snacks to get me through the day. Here's the menu:

• peach soy yogurt with maple walnut granola
  • Mock tuna salad (chickpeas, red onion, carrots, dijon mustard, Veganaise, cumin, paprika, sea salt)
  • Hummus (homemade)
  • Whole wheat crackers
  • Sliced carrots
  • Grapes
I have to say that I hate packing lunches when I don't know if I am going to be able to heat things up. I think that's a pretty decent menu. But I have three more of these clinical rotations at the least veg-friendly hospital on the planet.
What are your favourite packable lunches?

Peanut butter, with apple or celery
homemade granola bar
salad with flatbread to wrap
pasta salad with beans

Sounds great. I like to carry sandwich makings and put them together at lunch to avoid things getting soggy. Usually:
Tomato
lettuce
sprouts
veg lunch meat or bacon
a little container of mustard or vegan mayo
something crunchy
peanut butter and banana sammich makings
chips and salsa
homemade bean dip and tortilla chips
salad chocked full of veggies,beans, sunflower seeds and so forth
a bag of croutons and crunchy "bacon" bits
almonds
edamame
bagel with peanut or almond butter
wraps of any kind are great

OMG, those are awesome and I love (and have) mason jars!

I had another mason jar link saved - this one has TONS of info on it, recipes for cooked stuff, etc. I don't know how well this would help you out since you are not sure you can heat things up. There are also non-veg recipes here but it helps give you an idea about the kind of stuff you could make (and veganize) for tasty and transportable noms. http://www.bigredkitchen.com/2011/07/how-to-make-mason-jar-meals-part-1/

Jar salad! What a simple, brilliant idea!
I've often brought marinated veggies in a separate container from lettuce to keep lettuce crisp,yet never thought to pack it up that way.
Thanks!

A similar sort of thing is a home-made pot noodle using a heatproof, sealable jar like a kilner jar.

Here's the recipe from the cookbook I have ( River Cottage Veg Everyday by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall )

1 nest of thin quick cook noodles (he suggests using egg noodles but I'm sure vegan noodles can be used as long as they are ones that will soften in the boiling water and don't need pre-soaking and/or pan cooking)
1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon power or 1/4 veg stock cube
A good pinch of soft brown sugar
1 small carrot peeled and very thinly sliced
3-4 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced.
6 sugar snap peas, shredded, or a few frozen petits pois
1 leaf of spring greens or green cabbage or a couple of leaves of pak choi, stalk removed, finely shredded
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1/2 garlic clove, grated
1/4 red or green chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
2 teaspoons soy sauce
Juice of 1/2 a lime

Put all the ingredients, except the soy sauce and lime into the "pot". When ready to eat pour over boiling water to just cover everything, pressing the ingredients down. Cover and leave for 8-10 minutes stirring once or twice, then add soy sauce and lime juice to taste. Eat!

A similar sort of thing is a home-made pot noodle using a heatproof, sealable jar like a kilner jar.

Here's the recipe from the cookbook I have ( River Cottage Veg Everyday by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall )

1 nest of thin quick cook noodles (he suggests using egg noodles but I'm sure vegan noodles can be used as long as they are ones that will soften in the boiling water and don't need pre-soaking and/or pan cooking)
1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon power or 1/4 veg stock cube
A good pinch of soft brown sugar
1 small carrot peeled and very thinly sliced
3-4 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced.
6 sugar snap peas, shredded, or a few frozen petits pois
1 leaf of spring greens or green cabbage or a couple of leaves of pak choi, stalk removed, finely shredded
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1/2 garlic clove, grated
1/4 red or green chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
2 teaspoons soy sauce
Juice of 1/2 a lime

Put all the ingredients, except the soy sauce and lime into the "pot". When ready to eat pour over boiling water to just cover everything, pressing the ingredients down. Cover and leave for 8-10 minutes stirring once or twice, then add soy sauce and lime juice to taste. Eat!

Genius. Can't wait to try this one!