Olympic Star Blames Positive Steroid Test On Pork

LoreD

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan

Shelby Houlihan Blames Positive Steroid Test On Pork Burrito

Shelby Houlihan, the American record holder in the 1,500 and 5,000 meters, posted on social media that she’s been banned for four years following a positive test for what she concluded was a tainted pork burrito.

The 28-year-old Houlihan said she received an email from the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) on Jan. 14, notifying her that a drug testing sample returned a finding for the anabolic steroid nandrolone. She said she’s since learned it has “long been understood by WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) that eating pork can lead to a false positive for nandrolone, since certain types of pigs produce it naturally in high amounts. Pig organ meat (offal) has the highest levels of nandrolone.”

"We concluded that the most likely explanation was a burrito purchased and consumed approximately 10 hours before that drug test from an authentic Mexican food truck that serves pig offal near my house in Beaverton, Oregon,” Houlihan wrote. “I notified the AIU that I believed this was the source.”

Interesting news but I'm not sure what the take away is. Don't take steroids? Don't eat pork burritos?

I've seen her kick. she is super fast.

If people are eating meat that has high amounts of "naturally occurring steroids," it can't be healthy for the human body.

Another reason not to eat meat.

Reactions: Second Summer
If people are eating meat that has high amounts of "naturally occurring steroids," it can't be healthy for the human body.
You would think that with milk and meat, no athlete could pass a test.

You would think that with milk and meat, no athlete could pass a test.

It is my understanding that the food truck was using "offal" or organ meats (I just gagged) which usually have higher concentrations of these chemicals.

Offal (/ˈɒfəl/), also called variety meats, pluck or organ meats, is the organs of a butchered animal. The word does not refer to a particular list of edible organs, which varies by culture and region, but usually excludes muscle.

Beef offal includes the stomachs, tripe, or large stomach, brains, heart, liver, tongue, and kidneys. For young beef, or veal, a number of additional parts, such as spinal marrow, trotters (feet), mesentery, and the sweetbread, are counted among the variety meats. Mutton and lamb offal includes the kidneys, tongue, brains, feet, stomach, heart, liver, and lights, or lungs. In pork, the designation includes the liver, kidneys, brains, trotters, and head.

Reactions: Lou