My friends share Bbq pics on our Chat...

CondorMr

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
...that we use for organising our daily, weekly surf sessions. About once a fortnight they start sharing pics of meat products they are roasting, barbecuing etc. Usually on a Sunday arvo.
They are my mates...but I find it so weird that they do this. Psychologically it makes me uncomfortable....I now try to refrain from looking at the group chat for a few hours when this occurs. But I worry for them; ones diabetic (type 2), a couple are overweight and all seem ignorant of the harm they are doing.
If I say anything they just seem to double down.
Two questions:
1) how do I keep sane?
2) how can I help my friends and keep sane?

Cheers...Condor

• Sad
Reactions: Kittykat
I think you just have to deal with it. We've made a choice that puts us at odds with much of society, and while it's the right choice it still comes at a cost.

I often hang out with friends at our local mountain biking spot and they usually fire up the grill and cook more meat than they can eat. They'll talk about how good it is, how cheap it was etc and it bothers me, but I don't think it would reflect well on myself or veganism if I acted like that was something I couldn't handle. I'll even throw some veggie dogs on right next to their sizzling meat and turn them over with the same tongs they use. I don't want them thinking my veganism is rooted in squeamishness or mental fragility.

If they're your friends just try to accept them for who they are...including the differences in diet, politics, and that horrible cheap beer they drink, and focus on the things you have in common. Be an example of a happy, healthy, well adjusted vegan and they'll respect you and veganism more for it.