Movie Cruella (2021)

Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hello šŸ‘‹,
Iā€™m Autistic. Iā€™m really anxious right now.
There is a new ā€œCruellaā€ movie due this year with Emma Stone. I was a big Dalmatians fan when I was a kid. I was scared by the trailer. Even though Emma Stone is a vegan, Iā€™m really anxious that theyā€™ll mess up on the whole fur thing, that theyā€™ll portray fur as okay and Cruella as an anti-hero, and that Emma Stone would wear real fur for it and about whether or not animals will be harmed for real in the making...
Do you know anything about this movie?
Thanks šŸ˜Š.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou
I donā€™t enough on the topic so Iā€™m doing a little research.

Disney: An Animal Rights Activist In Disguise

ā€œBack in 1961, Disney argued a thinly-veiled message: using animals' coats or fur as a fashion statement is wrong. In fact, they insisted, it is cruel, as they illustrated with the pointedly-named antagonist, Cruella de Vil. At the time, furs were becoming increasingly available to people of lesser socioeconomic means because of advancements in dying the pelts of "lesser quality" animals to provide furs at lower costs. Disney put cute, innocent faces behind the furs, turning it into an ethical dilemma.

Reactions: 1956 and Lou
Iā€™m not really finding much else other than Disney defending itself against animal abuse allegations.

I really like that take KLS reported on. " a thinly-veiled message" on the cruelty of the fur industry. As a viewer, I think that is the clear take-away. BTW, I believe that thinly-veiled messages work very well with kids of all ages. Kids don't seem to like heavy handed messages. I suppose there is some research backing that up but I'll leave looking that up for another day.

Looking up controversies led me to Wikipedia, which is probably where I should have started.

Animal rights organizations protested the film's release, saying that Dalmatian sales shot up after the premiere, fueled by impulsive purchases of puppies by parents for their children. Being ill-prepared to care for a relatively difficult breed of dog past puppy-hood, many of these new owners eventually surrendered their animals to pounds, where many dogs ended up being euthanized.[18]
Although I understand the sentiment, blaming the movie is kind of dumb. The fault lies with the parents. (we really shouldn't just let anyone become a parent). Maybe they could have made the film without using Dalmatians. but then what? I imagine you would have the same issue with anything else. Maybe cats would be better. Nobody cares about cats. ;) Gosh. We should be glad they didn't use pythons.

Reactions: 1956 and KLS52