JacobEdward

Forum Legend
Banned
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I wrote this little browser extension for olympiawa.gov
It inserts a google group forum into the front page of the city's website
The idea was I was going to show it to the council woman, she would get the idea, have the city programmer update the official version and everybody would get the update instead of just the person who has the extension... A fully operational forum embedded on the front page... seems like that should be the defacto standard for interfacing with the public in a serious way right? I love veganforum.org so I'm rolling around a few ideas on how to extend this forum into something more formal for debating... very very easy to share posts on other social networks...

Does it not say something objective about your local governments, state governments, etc. Why do they not have these forums? Knowing where the forum is located is sorta important, it should just be on the front page...

160015849_3584630068325938_4872210043563019431_n.jpg

I suspect your council might be concerned about dynamic content on their web site which they can't pre-approve. (Or can they? I don't really know how Google groups work.)

The other issue is having to moderate it, which requires effort, which again mean someone will need to be paid to do that job.

But I agree with the sentiment, that in the 21st century citizens want to be able to use modern Internet technologies to communicate and have discussions with their authorities. I think this may be part of the "smart cities" concept.

Reactions: Lou
I suspect your council might be concerned about dynamic content on their web site which they can't pre-approve. (Or can they? I don't really know how Google groups work.)

The other issue is having to moderate it, which requires effort, which again mean someone will need to be paid to do that job.

But I agree with the sentiment, that in the 21st century citizens want to be able to use modern Internet technologies to communicate and have discussions with their authorities. I think this may be part of the "smart cities" concept.
Not just with authorities, neighbors who you would never truly get to know otherwise would become accessible in a way they've never been, real problems that never get attention or take forever "could" be solved without government people, it's just everyone is on some other network...

Why do they have to moderate? Like in a world where they do these jobs programs maybe but they could always leave a pinned post saying individuals need to do their own blocking, maybe recommend blocking lists or whatever...

The only dynamic content would be the titles... The value it would add would be way imbalanced with the problems associated with unapproved dynamic titles

Maybe they could require you geolocate verify that you live in the city or something, but that's also not really needed... Leave it open, make lists independently of the troublemakers