Music Miami Vice and Jan Hammer music appreciation thread

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've been rediscovering the greatness of the music for this series with the help of Youtube. Jan Hammer has some fantastic tracks. Other musicians have also contributed, but I don't think they come close to Hammer.

Listening to One Way Out right now.
Crockett's Theme is immortal.
Same with the main theme and those flamingos.

Edit: Apologies if this is scaring away younger audiences :p

Last edited:
Reactions: ledboots and KLS52
Haha...loved Miami Vice (and Don Johnson) back in the day, which is scary in and of itself, lol.

Reactions: ledboots
I've been rediscovering the greatness of the music for this series with the help of Youtube. Jan Hammer has some fantastic tracks. Other musicians have also contributed, but I don't think they come close to Hammer.

Listening to One Way Out right now.
Crockett's Theme is immortal.
Same with the main theme and those flamingos.

Edit: Apologies if this is scaring away younger audiences :p
I love Jan Hammer! I saw him in concert in Boston in around 1976 with my favorite guitarist of all time, Jeff Beck (my screen name is from one of his songs.) And Heart was there too. So great.

Don't forget the "Miami Device" (electric razor designed to let you get that cool stubble look).

In 1986, Wahl — a respected name in male grooming products — introduced the Miami Device, a single-setting stubble trimmer named after the cop show Miami Vice. In this campy and somewhat silly show, Don Johnson wore pastel-colored suits over t-shirts and was rarely seen clean-shaven.
ir

Miami Vice inspired a short-lived stubble trend — and a pastel suit trend also, I’m afraid. Fortunately, both passed quickly into history.

Introduced in the spring of 1986, the Miami Device was called an electric razor because there wasn’t yet a name for these kinds of trimmers. Then, someone at Wahl apparently realized that producers of the show could sue them for trademark infringement for introducing a trimmer with a name so similar to the TV series, so it was then renamed the Stubble Device.

better beard, better life » Great Stubble Trimmer Options Abound Now, But That Wasn’t Always The Case

Sigh. One day you will begin to appreciate music made in the modern era too. :)
Yes, maybe if they start actually making music that has any qualities again. Little new and worthwhile has happened on the mainstream music scene since the 80s. It's been all about retro, tributes to old masters, samples from old masterpieces, and then gangsta rap, boy bands, singing divas. It's just sad, really!