Meatless school menu causes uproar

I thought the article was pretty balanced.

My first reaction was, well this if France, those guys are crazy about their food.
but I think we could expect similar reactions over here too.

Interesting that they the kids are still going to school. Over here in California, our schools are mostly closed.

In the Michael Moore documentary, Where to Invade Next, Michael goes to a French school to check out their meal programs. And despite the complete lack of vegan items (they had a cheese course!), I really liked their of idea of supplying the kids with a healthy, delicious, well made meal, the time to eat it, and the ambience to enjoy it.

Reactions: Sax
Are there no vegetarian or vegan children in all of Lyon, or France as a whole? Or should we assume that they provide their own meals?

Are there no vegetarian or vegan children in all of Lyon, or France as a whole? Or should we assume that they provide their own meals?
I didn't get that. There must be lots cause they used to have both meat and meat free lunch items.
Now they just have meat free options.

I once went to a week long work thing where we ate cafeteria style. I called ahead and told them I was vegan. They replied, no problem, several members of our staff are vegan. but its good you called. we can plan, order accordingly.

Anyway I had to go to the kitchen's window to get my plate. Everyone else at my table ate family style. Mostly I was just getting the same food, but meat free. like meat free spaghetti sauce. or meat free chow mien. but some stuff was very different - like oatmeal instead of eggs. At the end of the first day, one of my table mates was trying to also get vegan style meals.

Reactions: PTree15 and 1956
In the US, this would be a problem because a lot of kids depend on school-provided meals as their only or primary food source, and vegan diets don't work for everyone. (Crohn's Disease is the example we hear about the most, but there must be others.) There would be kids who needed omni meals for medical reasons.

I don't know if the same is true in France or not.

Here in Brooklyn, our borough presisent is vegan, and our schools have Meatless Mondays.

I think it's a great idea, as long as they're realistic about exceptions and accomodations - make meatless the norm, but provide an opt-in option for omni meals if needed.

Even in a place where they rely on school lunches as the primary meal source a Vegan meal would be suitable if it is properly planned... As for Crohn’s Disease a plant based diet is often recommended... Looking at the diets of many omni eating people I am certain that a plant based diet would be Far healthier... Most of the food that I have seen served at school cafeterias is So unhealthy taking the meat out could only make it better...

Reactions: Lou and Sax