Low acid pasta sauce

peacefulveglady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
What are some low acid pasta sauce? I been sick with extreme acid reflex and GERD and coughing. This is one of my problems as I like pasta dishes.

Oh, I have been living with GERD for like 20 years. It used to be really bad but thru changing some things in my lifestyle I have it totally managed. I used to take a tums every day. Now its just one or two a month.

You do have to be careful about the amounts of acidic foods you eat. but I haven't found it necessary to eliminate them. But you might want to eliminate them till the coughing goes away. In fact you can probably use coughing as a good indicator of when you need to further reduce acid in your diet.

As a temporary measure you can take Prilosec, its OTC. When I took it - they said no more than 3 weeks but I just checked and they are now saying less than 8 weeks.

But I don't need it anymore and like I said I hardly ever have to do Tums.

Now my GERD pretty much only manifested at night while I was sleeping. I think it was caused by the little valve at the top of the stomach not working so good.

Besides the diet stuff, I found a bunch of other stuff really helps. Some moderate exercise every day. eat smaller meals more often. have an apple after dinner. don't sit down or lie down after meals. Drink lots of water. Ive found that if I feel heartburn then I drink a glass of water and walk around a little.

I do sometimes have tomato based pasta sauce. but a lot of times I go with something else.
My favorites are a vegan pesto sauce. I can make my own but Trader Joe's has one in a jar.

we love our pasta and yet rarely use spaghetti sauce, likely a 5 to 1 ratio - we saute our garlic/onions and other veggies in just a small amount (less than a tablespoon) of olive oil and then once the pasta is cooked we put it in with the sauted mixture and stir it about until the pasta is coated and serve it - it is what I call aglio y olio and if you look it up you will find great recipes - we always add tons more veggies that aren't in the official recipe like onions, olives, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, and tons of garlic

there are also other great 'cheese' sauces out there like the kind many make for vegan mac & cheese, that are made from potatoes/red peppers/onion/nutritional yeast etc - almost anything that you love and can eat without pain can be made into a sauce and put on pasta

sending you healing thoughts!

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Lou