Kids - going vegan

kittyh

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
My children are 1 and 4. We are vegetarian and want to go to full veganism - but how easy is it to get the kids to apart? Especially the little one. Any advice and tips ar emost welcome.

My children are 1 and 4. We are vegetarian and want to go to full veganism - but how easy is it to get the kids to apart? Especially the little one. Any advice and tips ar emost welcome.

Hi kittyh, and welcome to the forum.

Properly-planned vegan diets are appropriate for all stages of life, including infancy and young childhood. This is the position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics - the world's largest association of Registered Dietitians: Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Vegetarian Diets. - PubMed - NCBI .

Having said that, it's very important to note that vegan diets for infants and young children are not the same as vegan diets for adults.

The (vegan) Vegetarian Resource Group has published a detailed webpage about vegan diets for young children: Feeding Vegan Kids -- The Vegetarian Resource Group.

Because young childhood is developmentally so important, you might consider consulting with a Registered Dietitian (RD) who specializes in vegetarian/vegan nutrition and in pediatric nutrition. In the UK, you can find a local RD through the British Dietetic Association: Freelance Dietitians Group | BDA | Freelance Dietitians UK .

• Agree
Reactions: Lou

Brenda Davis is a vegan RD who has published nutrition papers and been appointed by governments for her expertise. She has published a number of popular books, her book Becoming Vegan is insanely complete and covers nutritional needs for all stages in the life cycle.

Reactions: Lou
Thanks for your responses! Very helpful :) I will check out Brenda's book

Feed your kids the below stuff and they will never know the difference. I took a picture of these items that I keep in the refrigerator.

Sincerely,

Hog

IMG_0874.JPG

Feed your kids the below stuff and they will never know the difference. I took a picture of these items that I keep in the refrigerator.

Sincerely,

Hog

View attachment 20596

All of those processed faux foods are super high in sodium. They also lack the minerals and other micronutrients of natural foods.

That isn't good for adults, let alone growing children.

I don't mean to be a jerk, but I have been working with an RD to correct an issue where adequate nutrition makes a difference.

Do not take my word for it.

Make yourself a free account on cronometer.com and keep a diary of what you eat for two weeks. You might be surprised how at the end of each day the number of nutrients you don't hit 100% on.

Again, no disrespect meant, I wrote this out of a motivation to warn people.

Reactions: Lou and Hog
@ Beforewisdom

You are not being a jerk. You have a valid point. Thank you. I will try to feed my family more nutritious food. Still, in all honesty, I dislike Cronometer.

But, if my family decides to do an open casket funeral for me, just think of the money they will save on embalming me. I have so many preservatives in my body that I will never rot. By the way, I personally do not eat vegan milk, cheese, and meat. It reminds me too much of eating the real thing. Yuck.

I would prefer that my body be left out in nature for animals to consume. It is better for the environment than burial or cremation.