Literature Kid Lit Boom

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Children's literature is a fast-growing genre thanks to 'Potter' & Co.

The success of 'Harry Potter, 'Twilight' and other has created a halo effect for the entire genre. And kids aren't the only ones doing it.

The children's literature genre has something to smile about. (Dave Wheeler Studio, For The Times August 17, 2012)

By Susan Carpenter Los Angeles Times
August 26, 2012
For years, the book industry has been mired in debates about the plight of independent booksellers, the rise of Amazon and the fate of print as it struggles with the relentless march of technology. But doom-and-gloomers forecasting "the end of books" probably haven't strolled through the children's section lately or considered what's coming this season, from picture books through titles for teens.
This fall's offerings span a wide variety of topics and suggest why children's books have turned into the fastest-growing segment of the publishing industry.
The magical spell J.K. Rowling cast over kid lit with "Harry Potter" found new blood with Stephenie Meyer's "Twilight" saga and most recently, Suzanne Collins' fight-to-the-death "The Hunger Games," creating a halo effect for the entire genre that doesn't show any signs of slowing. Last year, overall publisher revenues for children's books were up 12%, to $2.78 billion, and e-books made astounding gains, according to BookStats, a collaboration of the Assn. of American Publishers and the Book Industry Study Group.
This year is no different. It used to be that when readers finished a groundbreaking series, they struggled to find others with similar appeal. No more. The millions of readers who followed Bella as she pursued supernatural true love or Katniss as she navigated a post-apocalyptic U.S. can now find dozens of bestselling paranormal and dystopian series that will see further installments this fall.

read more: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-kids-main-bar-20120826,0,6328269.story

Also check out the sidebar on the left which lists the books that will probably be turned into movies. Quick, read 'em before Hollywood ruins 'em.

Personally, I'm over the moon about this. I love to see kids reading for fun, because they'll turn into adults reading for fun.

I love reading kids books (well, books aimed at teens). But I remember there always being a big kid lit section in Waterstones (Borders even had a whole floor of kid lit, before they went bust) so I'm not sure this is such a new phenomenon. I think adults are just enjoying children's literature more and that's why it is getting more publicity.

IDK how much influence popular kids books has on overall more kids picking up and sticking with reading.

IDK how much influence popular kids books has on overall more kids picking up and sticking with reading.

I know so many people who started reading thanks to Harry Potter. When kids can discover a new world from reading, they'll want to do it again and again. So much better than making reading a chore by forcing them to read books that go over a lot of their heads.