US Removed A Baby Snake From My Garage

TarheelVegan

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I just removed a baby copperhead snake (with the unmistakable chartreuse-colored tail) from my garage. He was curled up in the corner by the garage door. I put on thick gloves, picked him up with a set of soft tongs, walked across the street to a field, and released him there. Although I don't wish to accidentally happen upon ANY snake, I have no hate in my heart for them and would have relocated/released him even if I were not vegan.

I'm still a bit unnerved just by virtue of finding one in my garage, but it is the season for them to be born. I also do not leave my garage door up for any extended periods of time; for example, when I go to mow, I will take out my mower, trimmer, and blower, and then close the garage door. I don't think I have an infestation, but I'm going to have someone come out and check anyway just to be safe. As an interim precautionary deterrent, I've placed snake repellent pouches by each side of the garage door.

My working theory is that due to his small size, the baby snake followed a salamander into the garage through one of the small corners, and the salamander evaded him. I wish I'd have had the presence of mind to take a picture, but I was kind of freaked out and just wanted to get him out of there.

Yikes :worried:

(If we have any herpetologists here, please feel free to weigh in.)

Last edited: