Jordan Peterson and the Carnivore Diet

Jeremy Delvarr

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Could anyone explain how supposedly and seemingly intelligent individuals—such as Jordan Peterson and his daughter—can make such deplorable and, to all intentions, stupid and irresponsible decisions regarding their diet? Presumably, they undertake some research beforehand—or do they? How do they allow themselves to be persuaded by such poor evidence that they fall into a trap that a person with only a fraction of their mental capacity might easily avoid?

By all accounts, they do not lack the ability to reason nor are they devoid of common sense. What is actually going on in their minds?

I have read his book. Someone bought me a ticket to see him give a lecture in London next year.

Reactions: shyvas
I'm only vaguely aware of Jordan Peterson. He seems like a real POS.
I have the impression that the Lion Diet is mostly his daughter's brainchild.

If you want to know more here is a good article, I've included a few quotes.

Professor Peterson tells us back in his 2018 Joe Rogan podcast interview that he made the decision to adopt a carnivore diet because of the perceived positive impacts gained from the diet by his daughter Mikhaila. Mikhaila has been battling health issues most of her life. By the age of 7 she was diagnosed as suffering from chronic juvenile rheumatoid arthritis and placed on a range of medication including methotrexate​
Mikhaila underwent an ankle and hip replacement at the tender age of 16 which is not much of an endorsement for methotrexate’s record in treating arthritis.​
Detox from drugs, gluten, dairy, refined carbohydrates and processed foods, coupled with fasting, would explain, in totality, Mikhaila’s health improvements. The big advances in her health occurred, as she explains on her website, over an extended period of time when she was consuming a diet based around large daily amounts of broccoli. When she adopted a more meat-oriented diet, her autoimmune conditions regressed.​
Mikhaila announced recently on her Instagram page (28/06/20) that she is now reintroducing fruit and vegetables directly (as opposed to supplement form) back into her diet. She is not alone among so-called carnivores in acknowledging the shortfalls of a meat-only diet​

Just another example of a person doing something in order to make money.
But I will have to admit this is one of the worst examples I've heard of.

I wonder, Lou, if this is true—though you may be right. If he were a twenty-two-year-old YouTube influencer, one might suspect anything to do with money or perhaps just weak logic or commitment. But neither Peterson nor his daughter appear to fall into that category. I can understand most people just go along with convention and may deide to eat more meat just because they are misinformed to some degree. I can also understand that people will reject veganism because of all its 'baggage' and decide to go against any new 'trend' out of innate conservatism. But this pair seems to have gone overboard! And it is hardly likely that they are unaware of the possible consequences of their decisions even if they discount them. Perhaps I am wrong, but it seemed to me that learning a little of their motivation might allow us some insight into the mental processes of others who have travelled to the far end of the vegan/carnist spectrum. After all, they must think we are the 'extremists'!

I wonder, Lou, if this is true—though you may be right. I

After reading the second article, I'm not so sure either.
His daughter's story is way more complicated than I thought.

But from the little I know about Peterson is that he is sort of a YouTube "influencer". Granted his credentials are real enough but he wasn't famous or anything but for his YouTube stuff.