Is veganism sustainable in the long run?

A vegan diet is far more sustainable than meat-based diets. A vegan diet requires substantially less farmland and produces substantially fewer animal waste products, which means it is better for the environment. Furthermore, it takes significantly less water to produce a pound of vegetables than it does to produce a pound of meat.

Additionally, as the global demand for food increases as developing countries become more affluent and Westernized, growing crops for human consumption will be necessary even if we do not continue raising animals for food production. If we want to meet that increasing need without destroying or diverting natural habitats and environments into agricultural fields then we'll need an alternative food source that minimizes agricultural impacts on the environment; veganism offers this opportunity.

I can not imagine how eating animal products is healthier than a vegan diet. My family eats lots of peanut butter sandwiches. Thus, we are covered from a protein standpoint. We do eat a multivitamin and a calcium pill every day just to be safe because our calcium consumption went way down after we went vegan.

If there is an argument about the health benefit of animal products, then I would really like to hear it. I just do not think that such an argument exists.

Nobody in his right mind wants me to return to dairy. I would pass more gas than a grass-fed cow.

Stumbled upon this article in my newsfeed this morning. Its a very refreshing positive take on veganism. A lot of the lines resonated with me. Haven't I said these things, too?

I could have put it almost anywhere but this thread makes sense. Plus its currently active.

Some good quotes from the article.

"I wish I had known that when I was trying to cut cheese out of my diet — that part of the reason I was craving it, was because I was eating it," says Byrne. "After a certain amount of time without it, those cravings went away."​
Instead of thinking of the diet as a way to cut out certain foods (which, I mean, was kind of the whole point), I was told to consider it as an excuse to add new ones in.​
if this way of eating means I will eat more healthfully, maintain a diet that is more closely aligned to my ethics, and still enjoy all the food I make, well, why not stick with it?​

Instead of thinking of the diet as a way to cut out certain foods (which, I mean, was kind of the whole point), I was told to consider it as an excuse to add new ones in.

I follow Lou's article's point as to becoming vegan. I created a new diet for myself, with the goal making a diet that is both sustainable for nature and my own health. This new diet I was now eating was vegan as a result of being more sustainable, not sustainable as a result of being vegan. I added to my diet so many new foods that they outnumbered the meat and dairy I was not longer consuming.

There was no replacing individual foods, there was improving an entire diet.

Last edited:
I was vegan for 5 years before switching to a vegetarian diet. Even though I use the quarantine excuse for my change, the truth is that it was something that I was considering since 2019 after some videos of "vegan deterioration" had been recommended to me.
I watched too much of it and got a little paranoid. Especially with the boom of the "why I'm no longer vegan" videos.
I had a vegan teacher in his 40s and I started to observe that he had the vegan eyes that people were talking about in the videos. But other vegans that I know are completely fine.
I know vegan kids that have been vegan since birth or transitioned at an early age and adults that have been vegan for years that show no sign of malnutrition or deterioration. Maybe the diet from my country provides different nutrients than the american/european?
The truth is that I'm still a little concerned about the veganism effects on the long run. I know that being vegetarian doesn't cause any problems so I feel safer with this diet.

Is anyone in here vegan for over 30 years that can assure that it's safe?

I probably should stop watching sketchy videos on youtube...

There are vegan groups all around the world. Even long life groups that eat some animal products, only consume a very limited amount. I saw a study that showed that the isolated long life Mediterranean groups only ate animal products about 3-4 times a month.

Then there is the whole issue of lactose intolerance. Non-Whites are between 75-90% lactose intolerant.

If people follow a bad diet they are malnourished. That is the issue with many of the new products. It probably would be healthier to make a Lentil Bolognese, rather than a Beyond Beef Bolognese, but most people haven't learned the value of a diverse diet.

I've found that anything meat inspired can be quickly changed into a healthy plant based recipe, with just the addition of a can of beans

Chicken curry = chickpea curry

Creamy chicken vegetable soup= (White beans in a blender) Creamy bean vegetable soup

Meat and vegetable salad=Black bean vegetable salad.

I'm really impressed with this guy. He does have some meat and fish recipes, but most of his recipes are either vegan, or easy to convert to vegan. He makes a LOT of bean based recipes.

He also has a YouTube channel

There are vegan groups all around the world. Even long life groups that eat some animal products, only consume a very limited amount. I saw a study that showed that the isolated long life Mediterranean groups only ate animal products about 3-4 times a month.

Then there is the whole issue of lactose intolerance. Non-Whites are between 75-90% lactose intolerant.

If people follow a bad diet they are malnourished. That is the issue with many of the new products. It probably would be healthier to make a Lentil Bolognese, rather than a Beyond Beef Bolognese, but most people haven't learned the value of a diverse diet.

I've found that anything meat inspired can be quickly changed into a healthy plant based recipe, with just the addition of a can of beans

Chicken curry = chickpea curry

Creamy chicken vegetable soup= (White beans in a blender) Creamy bean vegetable soup

Meat and vegetable salad=Black bean vegetable salad.

I'm really impressed with this guy. He does have some meat and fish recipes, but most of his recipes are either vegan, or easy to convert to vegan. He makes a LOT of bean based recipes.

He also has a YouTube channel

agree completely and I really like the Spain on a Fork guy and many of his recipes - I have spent a fair amount of time in Spain and so always have a soft spot for all foods spanish

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: bEt and Lou
agree completely and I really like the Spain on a Fork guy and many of his recipes - I have spent a fair amount of time in Spain and so always have a soft spot for all foods spanish

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I also love Spanish cuisine as they use a lot of evo/almonds/smoked paprika and med style vegetables.

Anyone can look bad in certain lighting and at certain angles, and this is what those deterioration videos do. They also fail to showcase the plant-based athletes and body builders who have amazing bodies and amazing health. It's just propaganda against a plant-based lifestyle. A plant-based diet is adequate for all stages of life. The makers of the deterioration videos are not able to back up any of their claims.

My wife and I have been vegans for 40+ years.

Our reasons for becoming and remaining vegan, without the usual vegetarian intermediary stage, were purely ethical.

However, we note that nutritionists tell us we have everything we need for continued healthy lives.

We also note that we are helping to save the planet from a potentially disastrous climate change.

Roger.
Has anyone heard of

Site says she has been vegan 30 years.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Yes i've been fully vegan by what you mean by vegan since the beginning of when i was on this forum.
with only minor hickups.[most people wouldn't even consider hickups t.b.h.], it's actually technically easy; i don't see how it would be more complex or difficult after 30~40 or even 50 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC