Status
Not open for further replies.

Edwarex

Newcomer
Banned
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
This morning I noticed red blotches all down both sides of my torso, from 3mm to 20mm across. They must be quite livid as my colour vision isn’t good. They don’t hurt or itch at all, and I wouldn’t haver known if I hadn’t seen them. Should I burn the house down now ?

• Sad
Reactions: Veganite
This morning I noticed red blotches all down both sides of my torso, from 3mm to 20mm across. They must be quite livid as my colour vision isn’t good. They don’t hurt or itch at all, and I wouldn’t haver known if I hadn’t seen them. Should I burn the house down now ?

I'm very sorry to hear this, Edwarex. There's little comfort knowing some parasites are feeding on you while you sleep. My understanding is bed bugs are extremely difficult to eradicate. I don't think any vegan alive would blame you for doing so. I suggest reading up about them. You're more than likely going to need professional exterminators. There are a few natural methods you can read about online.

Only good thing is they are not known to carry any diseases. Read more here

We had bed bugs in my Apt building a couple of years ago. Fortunately they never got into my apartment.

But what the landlord did was hire an exterminator. each apartment was heated up to 120° for 2 hours. It kills the bugs and the eggs. So far they haven't come back.

Should I burn the house down now ?
Yes, cut your losses!

We had fleas in our old house, possibly brought to us by the neighbours' cat who used to visit. (It was an outdoor cat, as is common here in the UK.)

We hired an exterminator who arrived in a "discretely branded" van. He had to visit a couple of times before they were gone completely.

Bedbugs have nothing to do with cleanliness. They don't care if your house or yourself is nasty or clean, your blood is all they're after either way.
The only way to truly stop them is to get an exterminator, and the sooner the better. I do understand there are places where they so rampant it is almost impossible to be completely rid of them, and then methods like tubs of water under the beds legs may help, and sticky tape up the legs.
they may be known as 'bed' bugs, but when they don't have access to the bed they'll wait for you on the the couch or wherever else they can get a meal. Human blood is preferable, but they;ll feed on animals if needed. they can go a longggg time between feeding

I had to deal with them once. i had bought some clothes from a garage sale and left them on my bed. I was scratching so hard I couldn't make out the bites and only knew because my cat batted the side of the mattress. I found black dots the size of a pencil dot, which moved when disturbed. I was able to get rid of them with one visit by an exterminator.

Some people are more allergic to them then others. I feel lucky I was bad!

Why the "discretely branded" van. Are people embarrassed about having bugs or are they ashamed that they are killing them.
:)
Hah, I assume the former! I doubt most people would give the lives of bloodsucking bugs a second thought!
Some people are more allergic to them then others. I feel lucky I was bad!
Yes, same here. I dunno if I feel lucky that I am particularly allergic as I had itchy bites all over and for a long time as it took some effort to get rid of them. My wife and daughter hardly noticed them at all. My daughter still to this day feel like I was just imagining the whole thing, and is angry with me for banishing the neighbour's cat from further visits inside!

OMG! I don't want to hear any more! :lala:
Most annoying thing about that is I've grown up with thrift store stuff, and knew from my grandmother to check seams and everything and immediately wash and dry in heat. I like never go to garage sales, but this was in an upper class area and I didn't give it any thought!

Enough heat will kill them, but they can get in places you can't heat enough to kill them all--it needs to be pretty intense! They breed pretty quickly.
Dry heat on high will for clothing

I know some vegan, esp new ones, will balk at the thought of killing anything, but for things that will infest--the sooner the better!

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L. and Lou
I had such anxiety over those bugs,even though I only saw one adult,and a cluster of baby dots, for so long! I had bruises from scratching and couldn't even see 'bites'. Esp feet, ankles, and arms.
That was like 12 years ago

I had such anxiety over those bugs,even though I only saw one adult,and a cluster of baby dots, for so long! I had bruises from scratching and couldn't even see 'bites'. Esp feet, ankles, and arms.
That was like 12 years ago
Same, my nerves were worn super thin after the whole ordeal so I was pretty much ready for a voluntary stay at the mental hospital! I couldn't sleep because I was afraid of waking up with yet more itchy bites. I wore my socks over my trousers so not to expose any skin.

I just remembered--Diphenhydramine (Benedryl) helped immensely!

MOD POST
I'm temporarily locking this thread as it appears to be attracting a lot of bed bugs .... Oops, I mean spammers.

• Agree
Reactions: silva
Status
Not open for further replies.