I know this is off topic, but I felt it was important to share

LoreD

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Mom Jeans Are Back In Fashion!!!!!!!!

https://www.yahoo.com

Millennials just got the news from Gen Z: Your jeans are bad. Specifically, late-aughts skinny jeans are bad. The kids have an answer: width. Their jeans have wider legs and tapered ankles, or maybe they flare out with a little kick. They have lighter washes and high waists. That's right. Gen Z has discovered mom jeans. Naturally, this means war.

The looser style of jean, long associated with a middle-aged drift toward practicality and comfort, "look good on everybody," says Aymee Batra, a college senior who lives in the suburbs of New York. "They're really comfortable. They actually cover your stomach area, which makes it more appropriate and allows you to wear crop tops. And, you know, it's just really efficient. Like, you could easily jump into mom jeans and take them off. You don't have to struggle to put them on."

Millennials are looking for comfort and consistency as they navigate the borderlands between young adulthood and middle age.This is a big opportunity - the girls and boys are willing to spend right now," says Jennifer Foyle, chief creative officer of American Eagle Outfitters, which oversees the top-selling jean brand among 15- to 25-year-olds. Its most popular item this season, for the first time ever: the mom jean, which comes in high-waisted, ripped and curvy varieties.

Executives at Forever 21, the fast-fashion teen favorite, say they were surprised when sales of "mom-fit '90s jeans" suddenly picked up at the beginning of the year. Other old-school favorites, including flared and embroidered jeans are also coming back, says CEO Daniel Kulle."I wouldn't say the skinny is completely dead," Kulle says. "We still have late adopters buying them. But the fashionistas are going for 'the mom' and the flare."

For those unsure of how to make the transition to trendier fits like mom jeans and dad jeans, the retail chain Madewell has created transition styles, including the "Slim Boyjean," to "help customers who are ready to bid adieu to the skinny leg," said Anne Crisafulli, the company's senior vice president of merchandising.

Shoppers are also booking more styling appointments in stores and online to discuss exactly how to wear looser fits, Crisafulli says.

"I remember when skinny jeans first started being a thing, and thinking they looked ridiculous," says Bethany Harbison, 31, of Fullerton, Calif. She has begun to make the transition to mom jeans, with reservations: "I don't think they're cute, but they are so comfortable."

Last edited:
Reactions: silva and Freesia
Those high waisted jeans are ok lookswise but i prefer lower cut jeans, i have wide hips and the high waisted jeans often arent wide enough i find... more tall than wide...hipster jeans are often more generous in the hip area (though they do have the problem of falling down.)

That is good news!!
I have ONE pair of jeans that both look good and are comfortable, and they're old
I can't tolerate anything snug, or a fabric I dislike, or feeling a seam. So many people stretching pants at the seams! Drives me nuts just to see it!
I do hope they're not too high waisted. I'm not a fan of hip huggers, but for me to have roomy thighs the waist is typically too loose, and when the waist is just right the hips too tight-or vice versa

SIgh,maybe I'll just stick to stretchy things o_O

Also, shopping should be a lot easier. I still remember shopping with my daughter and granddaughter, about 6 years ago. The huge fight to prevent a 14 year old from walking out of the store looking like she belonged on a stripper pole. "But, all my friends are wearing those clothes!"

I'm so happy to see that girls and boys have stopped wearing that skintight clothing.

personally i think that jeans in general are vary uncoverable and unpractical do to the lack of mobility and scratchy feel i dont know why people ware them i much prefer sweat pants for one they are privet cough cough (unlike a seiten skin tight leggings trend) comfy as all haven and earth and cheap compared at least to jeans but i digresses i think that a new trend in mom jeans will help open up younger people to new and different fashion styles however that might come about any ways overalls are still a great gender neutral middle ground mmm now if they just made thous out of some thing more comfy and privet mmm

ive seen more comfy jeans around, you cn get denim but these days some are made of softer materials but still have the look of jeans, some stretchy too .