UK Gay Marriage vs Multiculturalism

And whilst posting this ...

Chovie has to have regular PC training due to the nature of her job.

She's been keeping me fully updated on what was PC up till last Tuesday but was no longer so since last Wednesday.

Further updates expected by 09:05 after work resumes on Monday.

I came across this great article on political correctness.

‘Politically correct’ language accomplishes an important task: it shines a light on places where our conceptual grasp of a topic is less than complete. Places where our ‘traditional’ understanding is leading us away from truth. Places where our privilege moves us to demand that reality conform to our expectations, rather than the other way around. By breaking down the language we use, by interrupting the comfortable flow of ideas borne of unthinking cultural narratives, by putting our words under a microscope, we can examine the extent to which those words buoy up conclusions drawn from faulty premises.

Which was linked to here, dealing with "political correctness" as a pejorative in 140 characters or less at a time.

ScreenShot2014-04-27at21603PM_zps431c32d3.png

ScreenShot2014-04-27at21617PM_zps0f04078f.png

Daft is daft is daft, Envy.

Same thing everywhere, basicaly. Just unlimited manifestations.

Correctness in itself isn't daft, mind ..

The clue comes in when the word 'political' needs to be attached to it.

Sorry, I forgot it was daft to give a **** about other people. Won't happen again.

Also, focusing on the political aspect is a problem in the first place because it's not ******* politics, it's peoples' lives. But that's not what you're saying, so...

Oh well, let me (partially) defend Clueless Git here.

There's political correctness that is great. Understanding gender and sexuality is non-binary, respecting people who have different cultures, etc.

Then there's political correctness run amuck. AKA: People who are f***ing idiots and say stuff like "we shouldn't judge <culture>'s misogyny, because everything is relative".

The former I'm perfectly fine with. The latter can DIAF.

sometime people hide behind political correctness; it can become just a way to control people, control thought.....caring about people and using language that doesn't hurt is ok, but that is not always the same thing. Maybe it is because caring about not hurting people takes thought, and effort, whereas obeying and enforcing a set of rules doesn't.

sometime people hide behind political correctness; it can become just a way to control people, control thought.....caring about people and using language that doesn't hurt is ok, but that is not always the same thing. Maybe it is because caring about not hurting people takes thought, and effort, whereas obeying and enforcing a set of rules doesn't.

Exactamundo.

Only a total Eejyutt would think that words are the problem or that control of words is the solution.

The problem is more that for as long as people allow certain words to hurt/offend then people who want to hurt/offend will use them.

It mattereth not what the words are either.

It seems to be simply that once a new word becomes common parlance it then becomes automaticaly as offensive as the old word it replaces.

That, I reason, is why PC has become a virtual industry who's sole function is changing words at a quite ridiculous frequency.

Changing words at a ridiculous frequency is, as you say, far less hard work (and thinking) than changing peoples attitudes.

Exactamundo.

Only a total Eejyutt would think that words are the problem or that control of words is the solution.

The problem is more that for as long as people allow certain words to hurt/offend then people who want to hurt/offend will use them.

It mattereth not what the words are either.

It seems to be simply that once a new word becomes common parlance it then becomes automaticaly as offensive as the old word it replaces.

That, I reason, is why PC has become a virtual industry who's sole function is changing words at a quite ridiculous frequency.

Changing words at a ridiculous frequency is, as you say, far less hard work (and thinking) than changing peoples attitudes.

The problem with this argument being that the people who consistently complain about "political correctness" are also the ones who have the attitudes that should be changed.

Well, the "politically correct" descriptor is a way of minimizing the concern for others' feelings evidenced by careful, non-derogatory language.

It's the same sort of thing as characterizing veg*ns as overly emotional about animals.

Also because I don't like the meaning that "political correct" has gotten today, since it can and should be used for so much more.

In general I consider it to be "political climate". Using certain words can but isn't always an expression of your political beliefs, it can sometimes just happen because you are a douche.

Not that he's listening, but...

Sorry, if someone calls me a fag, it's not going to conjure happy images in my mind. I can't just re-educate myself to not be sensitive to certain words when I know the history of hate behind them, and I know that the person using those words doesn't exactly have my best interests in mind.

It's not on me to change their behavior, anyways. It's on them.

Yeah, it's so weird how people keep coming up with new words for stuff that bugs them!

Almost like language changes over time, or we have some kind of new technology that allows for the faster spread of information and the easier evolution of communication.

No idea what that could be!

I often find political correctness annoying to be honest because it is virtually impossible to not offend someone at times. You can only try your best but there will always be a time you find yourself raked over the coals for saying something wrong.

Having said that, often the people I see protesting political correctness are the same people who want to remove benefits for poor, or universal healthcare, or want a flat tax for rich and poor alike or want people to be allowed to be as racist/sexist/homophobic as they like without any repercussions. And that is just gross.

So I would have to take the side with the people who are trying for political correctness even though I am not great at being politically correct myself at times, because the other side is just ugh, it stands for not trying to do anything nice for anyone because you cant be bothered.

I often find political correctness annoying to be honest because it is virtually impossible to not offend someone at times. You can only try your best but there will always be a time you find yourself raked over the coals for saying something wrong.

Having said that, often the people I see protesting political correctness are the same people who want to remove benefits for poor, or universal healthcare, or want a flat tax for rich and poor alike or want people to be allowed to be as racist/sexist/homophobic as they like without any repercussions. And that is just gross.

With the proviso that often doesn't mean always; I couldn't agree more :)

So I would have to take the side with the people who are trying for political correctness even though I am not great at being politically correct myself at times, because the other side is just ugh, it stands for not trying to do anything nice for anyone because you cant be bothered.

The choice to sift the baby from the bath water, as it were, still remains.