Felt!

jeneticallymodified

Forum Legend
Reaction score
sometimes i makes stuff outta felt. cos it's like 49 cents a sheet and super easy to sew with.

anybody else?

have you made anything awesome?

i made a doughnut once! with sprinkles! :D

have you got plans for future awesomeness?

i do. :p :D

do you wanna show something off? (something felty, preferably. :p)...

ahhhh, go on!

With the number of cats per square foot in my house, felt is too much of a fur catcher. :p

Show us some of yours!

I have wanted to do felting stuff a lot but I always get confused because the felt from the local art places doesn't seem like the same felt I see people making art with. Maybe I should just get some and mess around with it.

I have wanted to do felting stuff a lot but I always get confused because the felt from the local art places doesn't seem like the same felt I see people making art with. Maybe I should just get some and mess around with it.

it's probably different felt then. :p

i had to make sheets of felt from loose wool fibres at college and it was a right pain in the arse, to be blunt. lots of hot soapy water and rolling pins and wet wrinkled hands and tired shoulders. :(

the felt i use is called eco-fi - you can get it at art and hobby type places- it's made from recycled plastic bottles, i think.it's pretty basic stuff, you can't easily get some of the same special effects that you can with wool, but it does the job. :D

my felt of choice: http://www.eco-fi.com/

swanky artist people likely use wool or other natural fibres in their felts, many of them may make their own felt too- especially if they're doing needle-felting or making big 3D mixed media embroidered wall hanging type malarkies.

if you're ok with using recycled/second hand wool products, you can make your own felt out of thrift-store knitwear by purposely hot washing wool garments. looks like fun. pretty sure it doesn't work with acrylic or other plastics though. i expect that'll just mess up your washer and dryer. :p

With the number of cats per square foot in my house, felt is too much of a fur catcher. :p

Show us some of yours!

yeah, i have the same problem. flipping cats! :p even worse is when i cunningly blow teeny tiny felt trimmings into my eyes by way of a table fan (no A/C here). that's not ideal to say the least.

uh... i've not made loads of stuff yet. in large part because i have ADD and 'close enough' syndrome (which means i abandon things when they look halfway completed, to start the next exciting thing). i also seem to only take pictures when something is going wrong, and to get completely sidetracked by how cute an upside down cat is looking next to my camera bag, and end up taking pictures of them instead. :p

this doughnut does suck, but you still have to be nice. :D i'm one of those people who would rather butcher something together than do it properly and slowly. i have made better items recently, but they're secret currently. :D

doughnut front.jpg doughnut arse.JPG

The doughnuts are so cute!

The only kind of felt I have is fuzzy felt. I'm more of a cross-stitch gal.

yeah, my ADD hates cross stitch no matter how much i try and argue with it and coax it with cool library books. closest i can get to crossstitch is methodically unpicking the seams on clothes before putting them back together differently. :p

Don't have anything to show off (yet),but found this.Looks like fun!

http://feltorama.blogspot.com/

it IS fun! :D

i borrowed these two book from the library to get myself started:

51hYtQWybZL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.ca/Big-Little-Felt-Universe-Squeeze/dp/1600596754

and this one (which is much simpler but good for ideas):

51h3qYTczkL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.ca/Fa-Felt-Handma...96150/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b/178-1128501-1145603

right now i have my eye on this book... i may have to actually BUY it though. :p

515auSsynLL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.ca/Stash-Happy-Pa...3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339624955&sr=1-3-fkmr1

I too think the doughnut is cute. I have a knit doughnut pattern I wan to use. I've seen some really cute things made from felt but have never done anything. Thanks for the feltorama link.

no probs. i can't knit- it involves too much math and paying attention. with felt i can draw around stuff to measure, and stab my fingers with smaller needles. :D

ok so i have more stuffs:

3 little birds (they're about small hens' egg sized)

3birds.JPG greenbird1.JPG

a poisonous mushroom from the 80's -he has a mullet (he's probably about 2 inches tall- i don't do maths)

mushroom face.JPG mushroom back.JPG

and some pierogi. one of which is very unhappy cos he got bitten in the arse, and another which has a bad case of gas. :D

plateful.JPG wince and wail.JPG

my pics are probably wicked out of focus- cos i need glasses, and cos adoptable cats keep sneezing on my camera lens which screws up the autofocus. :p

I had just felting course in school and I have been pondering how much you can felt actually with other stuff than wool? In school we have done things only with wool and from what I have asked from the teacher she didn't think you can felt with anything else very well, or at least do things like we have done in the course. It would be nice to find other option to the wool specially when I really fell in love with felting and specially with needle felting....I just wish I would find other options also than the wool to work with.

^^I don't think anything else works like wool for felting in hot water or needle felting. :-\ At least I haven't seen anything. The felting discussed in this thread is just the sheets of felt from craft stores that tend to be made from synthenics (though sometimes those are wool too). :shrug:

I made these things a while ago. The thing in the pot in a cactus pincushion (it's one of those grafted cacti, that's why there's the red on top) and there's a banana, a strawberry and a bunch of grapes.

The basket is just a tea sampler gift basket, not a felt item. :no:

IMG_2922.JPG

~sighs~ I really wished I could find some other option for the wool. Well at least the school uses Finnish lamb wool since I know that the wool industry is not huge in here and they treat the animals pretty well.

But that aside....it's really nice to see what you all have done from the felt. :)

I had just felting course in school and I have been pondering how much you can felt actually with other stuff than wool? In school we have done things only with wool and from what I have asked from the teacher she didn't think you can felt with anything else very well, or at least do things like we have done in the course. It would be nice to find other option to the wool specially when I really fell in love with felting and specially with needle felting....I just wish I would find other options also than the wool to work with.
Hi you can get acylic fibre from Sweetpea dolls Hamanaka Aclaine they have lots of pastel and bright colours. I use this to make flowers, brooches and pictures. It needlefelts very easy but not wet felting. You can also use bamboo fibres from world of wool Bamboo this is just for needlefelting too, the other alternative is to card acrylic yarn( I use ends cut from crochet projects) I use 2 dog slicker brushes which are cheaper than proper wool carders. Hope this helps 😀