Favorite Recent Films

Forest Nymph

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
These don't have to be vegan, vegetarian or animal rights oriented. I thought it might be informative and entertaining to talk about recent movies we like.

I watched The Wrath last night, which is a 2018 Japanese horror film now available streaming on-line. Wow, what a beautiful film with elegant cinematography, and truly creepy but subtle horror. It's the sort of thing I could watch again and again, which is a trait of people who like atmospheric, supernatural horror. Saying too much might ruin your experience of it. Do watch!

Speaking of horror, I also liked 2018's Amazon Prime remake of Suspiria. I didn't think I would like it, I thought I would be mad that they even tried to touch Dario Argento, but similarly to how Rob Zombie dealt with John Carpenter's Halloween, the film was elevated into a script with a more complex, in-depth plot that doesn't even *try* to be the original. Where as 77 Suspiria was all feminine pastel colors, neon lights and spectacular gore, the 2018 is muted rainy, industrial grays, set in Cold War East Germany with a few horrifically grotesque scenes primarily off-set by very a subtle, quiet spookiness. Guilt is apparently a common emotion people feel while watching this film, or the eerie sense of watching something they're not supposed to see. For me, I felt haunted more by a long ago childhood (I wasn't a child in the 1970s but there was enough about the 80s which remained that something about this film feels strangely....familiar, maybe partly because I took ballet and modern jazz dance for 11 years), the suggestion of deceased relatives, and overall senseless human loss. Because of course it intersperses the Holocaust with themes like pagan witchcraft, political upheaval, and the specific social cruelties of women as a gender.

I also recently watched Joaquin Phoenix's current films, The Joker and The Animal People, but I wasn't especially fond of The Joker (though I do have some things to say about it) and I found The Animal People informative but I'm pretty sure there's already an entire thread about it on the forum.

The most recent film that I really liked was Tron Legacy. It seemed like a biblical creation story. I also liked the cinematography.

I saw Jupiter Ascending before changing to a vegan lifestyle. An alien race believed that humans were lesser creatures and harvested them in order to stay young. The film made me contemplate my carnivore lifestyle.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
I saw Jupiter Ascending before changing to a vegan lifestyle. An alien race believed that humans were lesser creatures and harvested them in order to stay young. The film made me contemplate my carnivore lifestyle.

That is very interesting, and definitely the most positive thing I have ever heard about that movie.
I have also seen the movie and not thought very much about it, but indeed, that is a very good metaphor and I am happy it got you to consider your lifestyle.

Loved Ford v. Ferrari! Also loved Parasite, One Upon a time in Hollywood, and Jojo Rabbit.

Reactions: Lou
Doctor Sleep was good. Anyone expecting it to be on the level of Kubrick is delusional so just forget about that comparison and enjoy it for what it is. The reproduced scenes from The Shining were surprisingly accurate, and the scene with Danny and Jack was great...such a shame Nicholson couldn't have been in it. I'm most impressed by how it manages to feel faithful to both King and Kubrick even though they each sharply disagreed with the other's telling.

Miss Americana is a Taylor Swift documentary on Netflix.
Watched it last night. Taylor has always been sort of guilty pleasure of mine. But I think I might as well come out. I have a lot of respect for her. And of course, I like her music.
Two Thumbs up

Watched Joker the a couple weeks ago... Very well done I thought

It was well done. I thought it gave a good backstory to the character. One of those films that's entertaining but imo only worth watching once, due to the lengthy exposition and overall pace.

I haven't watched anything that's come out in the last few years (entertainment wise, at least) that I'd recommend. Not that I haven't enjoyed some of the few films out of the handful of more recent ones I've seen, but nothing that impressed me enough to say it's a favorite.

Reactions: TofuRobot