Dishwasher tip

LoreD

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I was watching a YouTube video about getting rid of the more expensive all in one dishwasher tabs and detergent boosters.

He said the problem was with the water. Dishwashers are hooked up to hot water at the sink, which means the water going going to the dishwasher doesn't have time to heat up the water. Your dishwasher just shoots cold water at the dishes until the sink starts putting out hot water. This means a portion of the dishwasher cycle has cold water instead of hot.

He said the cure for this is to run your kitchen sink water until it gets hot, and then turn on your dishwasher.

I tried this with a cheap, no frills dishwasher tab and everything came out super clean. Glassware was spotless. I normally have to use a lemon detergent booster to get those results.

Worked like charm!

I was watching a YouTube video about getting rid of the more expensive all in one dishwasher tabs and detergent boosters.

He said the problem was with the water. Dishwashers are hooked up to hot water at the sink, which means the water going going to the dishwasher doesn't have time to heat up the water. Your dishwasher just shoots cold water at the dishes until the sink starts putting out hot water. This means a portion of the dishwasher cycle has cold water instead of hot.

He said the cure for this is to run your kitchen sink water until it gets hot, and then turn on your dishwasher.

I tried this with a cheap, no frills dishwasher tab and everything came out super clean. Glassware was spotless. I normally have to use a lemon detergent booster to get those results.

Worked like charm!
I'd always done that!
I did switch from Aldi liquid to their tabs though, and they do work far better!

Reactions: tlc1976
I'd always done that!
I did switch from Aldi liquid to their tabs though, and they do work far better!
I have done that for a long time too. Because it takes less time to fill the dishwasher than it takes for the hot water to get to the faucet. I do that with the washing machine too, I have a laundry sink next to it.

I use the liquid packs and then an extra squirt of dishwasher liquid over the dishes. I have hard water so this really makes a difference. Powder won’t dissolve well. Even when using the built in softener in the dishwasher.

I've been doing laundry in cold water only for years, but I do add a handful of baking soda to towels, and sometimes sheets. That seems to make a big difference. If I get the timing of the rinse cycle I'll go down and add a splash of white vinegar

I was surprised the dishwashers do use less water! I'd read that, but figured they were using a higher amount of water used by hand washing than I would,. I was wrong, my old dishwasher uses less, and I don't even pre-rinse.

I've had very few problems with my dishwasher, no matter what soap used , except that emptying the rack and putting dishes away are not automatic.
Overall, I've been pleased with the service and sparkling glassware.
And we just celebrated our 46th anniversary!

• Haha
Reactions: bEt and PTree15