US Dallas: 5 officers killed, 6 injured by snipers at protest

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Five Dallas police officers have been killed and six wounded by sniper fire during protests against the shooting of black men by police, authorities say.

Police are in a stand-off with one armed man in an indoor car park. Three other people have been detained.

Gunfire broke out at around 20:45 local time on Thursday (01:45 GMT Friday) as demonstrators marched through the city.

The protests were sparked by the deaths of Philando Castile in Minnesota and Alton Sterling in Louisiana.
More: Dallas police shooting: Five officers killed, six hurt by snipers - BBC News (8. July 2016)

I'm not even sure what to say about this, I was shocked by the footage of the two black men being killed by police and now to hear about even more deadly gun violence.

I read this morning that this is the deadliest day for US police in the US since 9/11.

I attended school for two-years at El Centro College in the early '70s, where part of this took place. The shootings occurred on the parade route- indeed, just over 1000-feet from- where President John Kennedy was assassinated in 1963.

I'm getting numb about this stuff. I don't condone violence, but as an observer, I think the US justice system- indeed, the whole US government- has become so corrupt that anarchy appears to be breaking out, and may be signalling an era of guerrilla civil-war. It was John Kennedy who said, "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."

I've already read comparisons of this event to the beginnings of the Ukrainian revolution, which began in 2013, and resulted in the downfall of, and installation of a new, government. I don't think this is about guns, or race, or even police overzealousness, but is more broadly about political tyranny. The US government needs to seriously wake up to the needs of its people, or else possibly face Kennedy's prophesy.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mischief
What I despise is these people who direct their anger at the most convenient target, not at the specific person(s) that they are angry at.

Angry at your boss, kill your co-workers. Angry at US policy abroad - kill innocent civilians and not the gov't officials who make the policy. Angry at biased trigger happy cops, kill any cops regardless of their personal record, etc.

I think that two jerks who wanted to kill people killed five people and shot seven others yesterday, and enjoyed doing it. They just used the latest killings in Louisiana and Minnesota as cover for what they wanted to do. It's the same as all the other times that people use religion, etc., as cover to act out their own worst instincts. People want to feel good about what they do, even (or especially when) they are doing vile stuff.

The problem is that now other people are going to be using this as an excuse to act out on their own vile instincts.

I just hope this doesn't end up in even more blood.

I saw this interview on the news. What brave men protecting innocent citizens. The majority of them do a wonderful job.

I think it's especially instructive to listen to this woman, who recognizes that awful things can be done by some members of the police, and wonderful things are done by other members of the police, that it's possible to condemn the awful and work to change that aspect, while at the same time celebrating and being thankful for the good, and often heroic, work. It's not an either/or proposition.

Reactions: KLS52
Wow...very emotional to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk