Communal Living.

Ahimsa

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Would ethical vegans be more suited to living in some form of communal lifestyle? After all, we are pretty much aliens from our own so called "culture" as soon as we see the light, so to speak. Perhaps it would be better to spend our lives surrounded by those of our "tribe" than to be surrounded by the ways of carnists, especially perhaps, when we're old and need to be taken care of. 🤔

I think one positive aspect of combining veganism with communal living would be relative self-sufficiency. I used to dream of buying a big house and starting a creative commune where everybody has a say in how things are run, and everybody contributes as much time and effort as they comfortably can without being badgered and bullied by some authority. The target demographic would be creative people of all sorts who don't cope well with the high pressure society we live in, to give them space and rest. The diet would be vegan of course and as we would have to buy some food at least, we would have to work out a way of funding. Certainly it would add strength to vegans to have a strong vegan presence. I found this when I visited the Jesus Fellowship for a week and it strengthened my faith just being there and being surrounded by other Christians.

Nice call Ahimsa! :cool:

I think one positive aspect of combining veganism with communal living would be relative self-sufficiency. I used to dream of buying a big house and starting a creative commune where everybody has a say in how things are run, and everybody contributes as much time and effort as they comfortably can without being badgered and bullied by some authority. The target demographic would be creative people of all sorts who don't cope well with the high pressure society we live in, to give them space and rest. The diet would be vegan of course and as we would have to buy some food at least, we would have to work out a way of funding. Certainly it would add strength to vegans to have a strong vegan presence. I found this when I visited the Jesus Fellowship for a week and it strengthened my faith just being there and being surrounded by other Christians.

I know you live in Sweden

I know you live in Sweden Brian but have you seen a web page called: "Diggers and Dreamers?" Mainly people offering and looking for different types of communal living, some of a religious nature, some spiritual but not religious, and some of a vegetarian/vegan nature. I think we still have an ad on their general noticeboard, fishing for information. We're looking for something rural in either West Wales or Scotland, but probably the former. We have an alternative lifestyle in mind, but what exactly we do not yet know.

I know you live in Sweden Brian but have you seen a web page called: "Diggers and Dreamers?" Mainly people offering and looking for different types of communal living, some of a religious nature, some spiritual but not religious, and some of a vegetarian/vegan nature. I think we still have an ad on their general noticeboard, fishing for information. We're looking for something rural in either West Wales or Scotland, but probably the former. We have an alternative lifestyle in mind, but what exactly we do not yet know.
I'll have a look into that, thank you.

The Findhorn Foundation in Scotland is a Spiritual community that I have visited many times. The first time in 1988 it was there that I became vegetarian. The last time I was there was in 2001. They have a Very strong connection to nature as well as spirituality. It is somewhere that I could imagine living. They are not Vegan however, they always prepare Vegan dishes as well as vegetarian. They promote environmental building and eco living and are educational.It was stated back in the 60’s, would have loved to have been there back then, I was just a little bit too young. First heard of it in the 70’s, my semi-hippy sister had a book about their gardens...

The Findhorn Foundation in Scotland is a Spiritual community that I have visited many times. The first time in 1988 it was there that I became vegetarian. The last time I was there was in 2001. They have a Very strong connection to nature as well as spirituality. It is somewhere that I could imagine living. They are not Vegan however, they always prepare Vegan dishes as well as vegetarian. They promote environmental building and eco living and are educational.It was stated back in the 60’s, would have loved to have been there back then, I was just a little bit too young. First heard of it in the 70’s, my semi-hippy sister had a book about their gardens...
Yes, we've been there a couple of times, it's a lovely place. I think Scotland is a good place to go for such as lifestyle, especially as property and land is that much cheaper than other parts of the UK and you can get so much for your money if you really look around. We're more looking to be near like minded people in a rural location than actually living with them.

Their spirituality is too pagan for me but fair play to them - reading about them and how they made fertile ground out of bad soil was an inspiration.

Their spirituality is too pagan for me but fair play to them - reading about them and how they made fertile ground out of bad soil was an inspiration.
Yes, Jenny was a bit concerned about their pagan spirituality. She thought she was going to be shared amongst the Vikings. Strange though, coz I've never seen a woman look so disappointed as when she found out they didn't arrive there on longboats! 🤔

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Brian W
I've been arguing for this for a while, would need to be nomadic if it weren't going to be this 100% online activism thing

Screenshot 2021-03-14 120058.png