Chilblains on a plant based diet

MattCoppens

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I have a pretty rare condition called chilblains. I've been on a plant based diet for almost 13 years and I've not been able to find relief or anything resembling treatment. Chilblains are these red itchy sores that people get in the winter (usually on hands and feet). I've recently started taking a niacin supplement to help with blood flow and it may be helping a bit. Curious to see if there is anybody else that has this condition and to see if they've found anything that helps.

Welcome to the Forum.
Congrats on being plant-based for 13 years.

I've never had Chilblains. But I haven't lived all my life in California and have know people with it.

Its not "rare". I'm not even sure it is that unusual.

Have you seen a doctor about it?
The reason I asked is three fold. One is there are ointments available to treat it. Also because it is sometimes associated with other medical problems. And finally, maybe you are confusing chilblains with some other skin problem.

I see that you live in Memphis which I don't associate with it being that cold. but I think that is where chilblains are most common. In colder places people dress warmer. I think the best way to avoid chilblains is what my mother would call, "dressing for the weather".

Besides dressing for the weather, try using Aquaphor and/or Dermasil twice a day. they are over the counter and not very expensive. once you get some you might try treating it with calamine lotion or witch hazel. Your doctor might be able to prescribe a more expensive but more effective treatment.

welcome to the forum and I join @Lou in congratulations for your 13 years plant-based

Lots of good information out there on chilblains and one thing that caught my eye is if someone has diabetes it can worsen the effect.

Having it checked out with a medical professional is a good idea as it could be something else.

What amount of your intake of plants come from fats/oils? Oils are inflammatory and so if you have inflammation if may be exacerbating it.
Do you wear sandals, even in cold weather? 🥶🩴

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Last edited: