Burger King testing paper straws & biodegradable cutlery

David3

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Last edited:
I think in California the no straws law was supposed to go into affect in January but they rolled it back because of covid.

And from what I gathered, the look of the products is what they are testing. but the rest of it is done deal.

This is interesting (and maybe hopeful)

Taking a page out of the Starbucks playbook( Starbucks has a plan to eliminate paper cups), Burger King is test driving a plan to reduce or maybe eliminate a lot of packaging waste - with reusable containers.

You pay a deposit on the container and get it refunded when you return the container. Not sure if this is going to be an opt-out for consumers. but if it only sort of works it could really reduce packaging waste.

It seems like it will work well with those who dine-in. the big question is how it will work with take out. One thing that I think will work in the company's favor - is the quality of the food. If take out food is warmer and less mushed with these reusable containers than I think consumers will like them.

We were going to in California, but then covid....
I now keep a reusable straw in my backpack and in my car.
I keep one in my car as well, and I have one in the house. They are stainless steel, and they came with a pipe cleaner-like tool, so they are really easy to clean.

Reactions: HappyRoxy and Lou
I don’t understand how Covid put a stop to that….supply issues perhaps?
The plastic bags because of curbside pickup and deliveries.
I was doing a lot of curbside pickup and paying 25¢ for every bag. Eventually I bagged them all up and brought them back to the store - but there was no refund. Now I'm allowed to bring my own bag to the store.

I can't remember the details on the straws. I think they were planning to phase out straws by January. I think they were going to allow for paper straws if you asked for them. Then with all the people going to the drive thru window they posponed that - not sure where they are now. I'll try and pay attention next time I'm a restaurant or a drive thru.

• Agree
Reactions: HappyRoxy
During the lockdown if you went into a store you couldn't bring in your own bags. although at some point they allowed you to just put your bags back into your cart and take it out to your car to bag. At Trader Joe's they even had a bagging station outside.
They still charged you for reusable bags but at least they allowed for alternatives.

I stopped doing curbside pickup but now I put a milk carton in my trunk and don't use any bags. I still seem to have a lot of leftover bags sitting around here, tho.

Reactions: HappyRoxy