Bipolar

Is there drug or alcohol abuse involved here, do you think? Has he become physical with you ever? His statements that it is your fault when he loses his temper are scary (and untrue, as we are all responsible for our actions.)

((Hugs))

his not using drugs (did when he was teenager/young adult) but he does sometimes go overboard on the drinking. in the week he might have the occasional drink but on weekends he tends to go overboard. his never hit me but he has shuffed and pushed me around. i really do get scared in these moments of rage.

I know everyone is saying the enviroment is not good for our daughter. But in his defense he is a great caring father with our daughter, he loves her too bits.

His rage is just unbearable. He can be fine for days and then something can just set him off.

I will try and find a counselor as I dont know what is the best option.

Even if he just rages at you and not her that can still be rough on a kid. And separating doesn't mean he can't continue to be a good caring father. I don't know much about your situation so I'm not saying this is what you should do, I just suggest seriously weighing the reasons for staying together against the reasons for separating.

I agree that a counselor is a good idea. If money is an issue, or you don't want your husband to know you are seeking help yet, you could try a local women's centre or abused women center, not that you have to be physically abused to enlist the help of them, but they should be be knowledgeable about where to find assistance. If you are in the US, your local planned parenthood could probably point you in the right direction.

If your husband knows you post here and your user name and stuff, you could possibly change it if it is ok with the mods so you can speak freely if you wanted to.

Not trying to sound all gloom and doom, I think talking to a counselor is a good step. :)

his not using drugs (did when he was teenager/young adult) but he does sometimes go overboard on the drinking. in the week he might have the occasional drink but on weekends he tends to go overboard. his never hit me but he has shuffed and pushed me around. i really do get scared in these moments of rage.

I know everyone is saying the enviroment is not good for our daughter. But in his defense he is a great caring father with our daughter, he loves her too bits.

His rage is just unbearable. He can be fine for days and then something can just set him off.

I will try and find a counselor as I dont know what is the best option.

I think something really needs to change as with domestic abuse it can creep up in an insidious way and shouting and shoving can become a slap or worse. I think some type of therapy with an impartial person is a good idea as a start but you would have to approach the subject to him when he is calm and not drinking. It's a horrible situation you are in. Bipolar can manifest itself in extreme irritation and anger in some people, I think it is more bipolar II than bipolar I but drinking alcohol excessively can lead to mood swings too. Bipolar disorder - NHS Choices

Reactions: thefadedone
Sorry I have not had an opportunity to add to the discussion...have not had access to my desktop and there is only so much I can do from my phone...I will try.

Both of my friends have been on meds for years. Friend #1 takes lithium and has had excellent results with that. She leans more on the manic side of the spectrum but manages very well.

Friend #2 takes multiple drugs...neurontin, Wellbutrin, Adderall(sp), Ativan and still has problems with severe depression. She also has days where she is extremely aggitated, argumentative and combative. On top of this, she is a heavy alcohol user. All if this has caused problems in the workplace. It is my opinion that the alcohol and side effects of the medications are causing some of her problems.

It definitely sounds like your husband needs help. I hope you are able to get to a place where you will be able to make some decisions as to what will be best for you and your daughter.

(((Hug)))