Beware-Dog Days are upon us!(23 July-23 August)

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
When I was little, I was told that milk got spoilt during this period due to the mysterious radiation from Sirius, the Dog Star. Also, the bodies of people who had drowned at sea would float up to the surface.

The dog days are the hottest, most uncomfortable part of the Northern summer.[a][1] The American weather and farming annual, The Old Farmer's Almanac, explains that "[t]he phrase 'Dog Days' conjures up the hottest, most sultry days of summer," coinciding with the heliacal rising of Sirius, the dog star, in the constellation Canis Major.[2][3]:19 While the correlation between the hottest and most humid weather of the year with this specific calendar period has not survived the broadening of weather understanding and communications to global, the correlation of the rising of Sirius with extreme heat has been sufficient in enough climes in the Northern Hemisphere such that the association of dog days "with hot, sultry weather was made for all time."[2]
From Wikipedia: Dog days - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reactions: Val
I remember it was called "The Silly Season" in the UK press as all the politicians went on holiday and news was at a minimum, Anything to sell newspapers was done including quizes, games, competitions, bingo and meaningless stories and a few made up ones,

I told my colleagues about this today, and they were both astonished to learn about the Dog Days, and simultaneously dazed by my story-telling skills :p

I remember it was called "The Silly Season" in the UK press as all the politicians went on holiday and news was at a minimum
Eh, not sure that is quite the same thing!

That explains why I am pretty I prefer to be warm and hate cold. My birthday is August 21. (joking)

I was just about to enjoy a nice glass of Oatly, but it had spoilt! This has never happened before in the history of my enchantment with Oatly. (And it has been going on for a while!) Is it a coincidence that this now happened during the dog days of summer? I don't think so!