Animal Advocacy Animal Charities/Sanctuaries

FoHS was inaugurated in late 2011 to take over management of a project set up in 2002/3 by Natural England and the Broads Authority. FoHS became a charity in 2016. The project aims to protect grey seals at Horsey and Winterton, Norfolk, particularly during the late autumn and winter, when they come ashore to give birth and mate. The charity’s volunteers are also involved throughout the year in the rescue of seals that are sick or in distress. Our aim is: To protect the grey seal rookery at Horsey from disturbance by the public. Our objectives are: To increase knowledge, understanding and appreciation of grey seals. To work with land owners, agencies and the local community to increase protection of the grey seal colony. To operate and manage an effective seal warden scheme.

The Donkey Sanctuary-Sidmouth,UK

1617447930797.png

Don't forget that tomorrow (4 April) you can catch up with your favourite four-legged friends as our award-winning Sanctuary From Your Sofa event returns for another virtual day out with the donkeys.
Tune in from 10am on Easter Sunday to watch a series of live broadcasts from our headquarters in Sidmouth, as well as a host of pre-recorded videos from our regional sanctuaries around the UK.

My favorite sanctuary/rescue is Big Cat Rescue in Tampa, Florida. I support them as much as I can. They are my Amazon Smile charity and I buy products sometimes. I had planned a visit there with my sister before the pandemic which got cancelled and they are no longer open to the public. The TV show "Tiger King" brought them a lot of publicity, a lot of it negative. There are other big cat rescues I follow as well.
Another one I like and would like to visit if they ever re-open to the public is the Retirement Home for Horses near Gainsville, Florida.

Reactions: Chryssie
In 2011 we opened our current sanctuary in Etwall. Named the 'Linjoy' after the founder Lindsay and and her nan, Joyce Barlow, the sanctuary is home to over 300 animals all of varying species including poultry, waterfowl, pigeons, rabbits, foxes, swans and other wild animals. Those animals that can not be returned to the wild but can live a good quality of life are provided sanctuary within our grounds. Injured animals are taken to the rescues hospital site in Burton on Trent.

Our Sanctuary is set in 4.5 acres of land in the countryside and is split into sections including a wildlife section , stables, four large paddocks and three smaller paddocks as well as a domestic animal section. We also have a pond with an island that is large enough to allow our waterbirds to have a good swim.
1634022490352.png1634022583713.png

1634477856838.png