News A Goat Named Cedar

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Vox news is so great. Especially for animal rights news. Here is the latest example
I am doubly surprised that this is the first I've heard of this story
First cause it's a Califronia story and supposedly has gotten both National and international coverage.
And that no one here posted it. (I looked)

A little summary and talking points.
-----

Jessica, a 4H girl raises a goat name cedar.
Cedar goes to the county fair to be auctioned off
Jessica pleads for her goats life.
Cedar gets auctioned off.
Jessica and her dad steal Cedar.
Sheriff gets a search warrant and seizes Cedar.
Cedar is slaughtered
Jessica and her dad sue the county.

"...the whole affair reflects a bigger point about how programs like 4-H, the largest youth organization in the country, train generations of children to act against their better moral judgments.'

For more details, read the story. Looking forward to your comments.

Last edited:
Vox news is so great. Especially for animal rights news. Here is the latest example
I am doubly surprised that this is the first I've heard of this story
First cause it's a Califronia story and supposedly has gotten both National and international coverage.
And that no one here posted it. (I looked)

A little summary and talking points.
-----

Jessica, a 4H girl raises a goat name cedar.
Cedar goes to the county fair to be auctioned off
Jessica pleads for her goats life.
Cedar gets auctioned off.
Jessica and her dad steal Cedar.
Sheriff gets a search warrant and seizes Cedar.
Cedar is slaughtered
Jessica and her dad sue the county.

"...the whole affair reflects a bigger point about how programs like 4-H, the largest youth organization in the country, train generations of children to act against their better moral judgments.'

For more details, read the story. Looking forward to your comments.

I did read that on another news site, and while the story was the same, it didn't go into the 'indoctrination' aspects
Really though, this is solely on the parents. They completely relinquished the animal. When I lived in a rural area kids that raised animals for fairs were very aware of the outcomes, as their families themselves were involved in the meat/dairy industry.
It's really no different than feeding kids meat--do you think this family went veg after this?