99 Cent Only Stores

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
When they first started selling produce, it was pretty awful looking and beginning to rot, so I avoiding even looking at it for years. But, the quality has greatly improved and they have a pretty good selection. Everything isn't always a better deal than the supermarkets, but probably 90% of it is. The only thing I've consistently seen there that's in bad condition is the oranges.

This is from my last shopping trip. Everything was a dollar a piece except for the cucumbers which were 2/$1 and the grapes which were a $1 a pound.

3 Spaghetti squashes (eating some of those tonight)
Cantaloupe (it was sweet and juicy)
Watermelon (too early in the season so only slightly sweet, but was good in a fruit salad)
Head of cabbage
2 boxes of Battered Cauliflower (soooooo delicious but really spicy)
3 containers of grape tomatoes
1 container of heirloom cherry tomatoes
1 package of regular tomatoes
Bag of romaine hearts (sometimes they have two, sometimes three)
Bag of romaine salad
Carton of Strawberries (same as the watermelon, too early)
Boom Chicka Pop popcorn (roasted black garlic flavor, very addicting)
Herb and garlic cassava chips (not that great, just okay)
Huge avocado
Bag of red grapes
Bag of green/spring onions
2 Cucumbers
not shown: 3lb bag of small red potatoes, bag of lemons

Other people have found Earth Balance mac and cheese, and cheese crackers. They're always sold out when I go. :pout:

I don't know if all of the 99 cent only stores have produce in them, but if one near you does, I highly suggest going. :D
By the way, not everything is 99 cents there anymore. :hmm:

99centstore01.jpg

Reactions: Amy SF
I haven't been there in a few years because I became disenchanted with the low quality of most of their products, including the produce. Maybe I should take another look.

I particularly like their grapes, strawberries and corn. I also buy chocolate and certain gadgets at their stores.

They had cherries the last time I went. They were pretty sweet for the time of year and I got a huge bag of them.

This is crazy talk...none of my dollar stores have produce and only one has a refrigerated/frozen section. I've never seen anything there that was worth buying though. :pout:

This is crazy talk...none of my dollar stores have produce and only one has a refrigerated/frozen section. I've never seen anything there that was worth buying though. :pout:
Are you looking in a 99 Cent Only store, or something like a Dollar Tree or Family Dollar?

Are you looking in a 99 Cent Only store, or something like a Dollar Tree or Family Dollar?
Dollar Tree and I forget what the other is called. I don't have anything called 99 cent.

One is truly where most everything is a dollar...the other one has all different prices. I get the names confused as to which is which.

That is very cool. I didn't realize the stores were actually called 99 Cents Only...I took it to mean a more broader sense of dollar stores. I'm kinda jealous.

That is very cool. I didn't realize the stores were actually called 99 Cents Only...I took it to mean a more broader sense of dollar stores. I'm kinda jealous.

I always go to the ones that are in Southern California and they are huge. Some items are 2 or 99 cts and I once bought a children's rucksack for 3 $. If not everything else costs 99 cts.

Google Maps: Report Inappropriate Image

Reactions: KLS52
Recently they had huge cardboard cat scratchers for $1.99, that are usually around $10 elsewhere. They went fast. So did the 99 cent full size packages of Oreos. :p

Reactions: KLS52
I got one package but others were stocking up on them as you can imagine.

I got to try two new mystery melons they had there. There weren't any signs and no one seemed to know what they were. One looked like a whitish skinned watermelon which ended up being too mushy inside to eat. The other one turned out to be a hami melon and resembled a cantaloupe in taste. I love trying new things. :D

Reactions: PTree15