3 Yoga Poses for Weight loss

T

thinman

Back in 1974 I just emigrated to Canada and joined a Sivananda Yoga studio to meet people as well as study traditional Yoga, a woman also joined but to lose weight. She had been going to Weight Watchers for 3 years with little results, her weight would yoyo. The teacher told her to do 3 poses everyday at home, each held for 10 mins, so 1/2 an hour each day plus her one day a week class.

I got busy with a new job and returned to the studio 6 weeks later, I didn't recognize the woman she had lost 60lbs. My teacher said that the 3 poses stimulate the thyroid to work properly. The 3 poses are shoulder stand, plough and fish, simple but I've never known anyone disciplined enough to actually do them to see what results they would get.

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52
Back in 1974 I just emigrated to Canada and joined a Sivananda Yoga studio to meet people as well as study traditional Yoga, a woman also joined but to lose weight. She had been going to Weight Watchers for 3 years with little results, her weight would yoyo. The teacher told her to do 3 poses everyday at home, each held for 10 mins, so 1/2 an hour each day plus her one day a week class.

I got busy with a new job and returned to the studio 6 weeks later, I didn't recognize the woman she had lost 60lbs. My teacher said that the 3 poses stimulate the thyroid to work properly. The 3 poses are shoulder stand, plough and fish, simple but I've never known anyone disciplined enough to actually do them to see what results they would get.
I had to google the images. I don’t think I could hold any of them for ten minutes but I will incorporate them into my stretches.
I’ve had great success with WW when I stick to it. It’s good for me because it forces me to make healthier choices with food.

I had to google the images. I don’t think I could hold any of them for ten minutes but I will incorporate them into my stretches.
I’ve had great success with WW when I stick to it. It’s good for me because it forces me to make healthier choices with food.
I couldn't do anything but the fish :tired_face:
I'll have to start with just my legs up a wall I guess

• Friendly
Just set a timer and focus on your breath, my wife has a meditation timer that has a nice ding.
I’m going to try them...maybe it’s something I can build up gradually...

Reactions: thinman
There is no way in hell I can do those! I couldn't do stuff like that when I was a kid much less now as an old lady!:laughing:

• Love
You only go to your edge, never force. A beginner can use a wall for shoulder stand, bolsters for fish. There is no rush, daily practice is the key. Start with one minute and increase when ready but the goal is 10. Having someone who teaches Yoga can help as a guide.

Reactions: Chryssie and KLS52